Q. I have a headache, nose and ear block. Are my sinuses infected?

Published on Sep 09, 2017

I have had a cold for just over a week. I have woken up this morning with a headache that throbs with each movement. I blew my nose to find blood in it, and my ear feels all blocked. Could this mean my sinuses are infected? And is it worth seeing a doctor? Or will they not give me anything anyway?

Hematology Pathology
#

1. Auscultation.
  2. CBC (complete blood count).
  3. Nose and ear examination by rhinoscopy and otoscopy.
  • You will be given a decongestant drug like Phenylephrine. If needed and if CBC shows high count with neutrophilia, then an antibiotic course will be given. Vitamin C lozenges are useful.
  • If in auscultation, rales or rhonchi are heard, then chest x-ray needs to be done. If needed, further work up, like sputum examination can be done. So, yes, consult an ENT specialist or a physician nearby for examination with keeping my answer in mind.

Take care. Hope your concern is solved.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full »

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?  Read Full »

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now