Q. Will taking antibiotics impact blood test results?

Dr. Smrita Singh
Published on Mar 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

Does having an upper respiratory infection and taking an antibiotic for it impact blood tests for IgG, IgA, gamma globulin, etc.? Should I wait a month before these blood tests?

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

Protection in the respiratory tract is mainly by IgA which provides mucosal immunity. In respiratory tract infection, the level of IgA has been shown to be increased. IgG levels are generally increased long after the infection first occurs.

It would be better to wait for a month so that the IgA levels return to normal after the infection subsides. Thank you.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

TSH is very high in a CMV IgG positive patient. Can she become pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, We are trying for pregnancy. My wife recently got some tests done namely a TORCH profile with the primary sample being serum through the ECLIA method. The toxoplasma IgG was 500.0 positive IU/mL and rubella IgM being 0.20 with negative COI. With the ELISA method, there is HSV I and I...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now