Q. Which medicine should I take when uric acid level is 8. 5?

Answered by
Dr. Vaibhav
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
Published on May 31, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2019

Hello doctor,

My mother has been diagnosed with 8.5 uric acid and recently underwent a hysterectomy. Which medicine should she take for uric acid?

Dr. Vaibhav



Welcome to icliniq.com.

High uric acid will require diet modification followed by medical treatment if not controlled by diet. You can start diet modification like,

1. Have adequate fluid intake.

2. Avoid dry fruits, cold drinks, and chocolate.

3. Avoid broccoli, spinach, beans, and non-vegetarian diet.

I would highly recommend testing uric acid once again after one month to reassess the uric acid value. As a single high value should not be the basis for starting medical treatment. Because the treatment usually has to be continued for a long period. So begin the diet modification from today, and repeat uric acid after a month, and review again for further advice. As a patient with high uric acid has an increasing tendency to form renal calculi, I will also advise sonography of abdomen and pelvis, if already not done, before the surgery.

Investigations to be done:

Uric acid, RFT (renal function test), sonography of abdomen and pelvis.

Treatment plan:

Review after one month with the above mentioned test.

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Either Mirena or hysterectomy, which is better for irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old. I have tilted bicornuate uterus. My history includes two cesarean sections, PCOS, adenomyosis, dysmenorrhea and amenorrhea. Now, I am suffering from irregular and very painful periods. I am getting heavy clots for three days and bleeding for the next four days. My cycle...  Read Full »

Shall I get hysterectomy for irregular and heavy periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an athlete and my period is such a hassle. I just wish I could get rid of it. It is irregular and lasts for seven to eight days. I do not want to go on the pill, because emotionally my hormones have balanced out. I am worried that if I take any form of birth control, then it will mes...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.