Q. I have high uric acid since 20 years. Please advise.

Dr. Surbhi Agrawal
Published on Jun 19, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I am a 40 year old male. I have high uric acid for 20 years. Currently, I am taking Allopurinol 300 mg and Methylpred 4 mg. For the last 3 months, the uric acid level has been less than 5. I am confused why there are still some attacks?

Dr. Surbhi Agrawal

Diabetology
#

If you have been taking preventive gout medicine for a long time and have started to have flares for the first time in a while, call your doctor. He may talk to you about changing your dosage or your medicine.

In addition to medication, these self-care tips may help your gout flare-up pain:

1. If the pain is not too bad, try cold packs or cold compresses on the joint to lessen the inflammation and help the pain. Ice the joint for 20 to 30 minutes several times a day.
  2. Rest the joint. It is good to rest until the pain lessens. Most people having an acute attack of gouty arthritis probably will not want to move the joint much anyway. Raise the joint if you can on a pillow or any other soft object.
  3. Drink water. Lack of water in your body can make your uric acid levels rise even higher than they already are. Drinking water will help your body stabilize uric acid to a normal level.
  4. Watch what you eat and drink. Foods that are high in purines (seafood, organ meats like liver, and even some vegetables) can increase the uric acid in your blood even more. So can fructose-sweetened drinks and alcohol, especially beer.

Hope this helps. Take care.

How Does Vitamin B3 Help Women During PMS?

Article Overview: There are thousands of women all around the world who are suffering from premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and looking for appropriate treatment. This article explains the role and exact dosage of vitamin B3 in PMS. Read Article

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati

Some researches show that premenstrual syndrome (PMS) occurs due to some mineral and vitamin deficiency. Vitamin B3 is also referred as niacin and also as nicotinic acid. Metabolism is primarily regulated by vitamin B3. It also helps to maintain sex and stress hormones.  PMS means premenstrual...  Read Article

Is it safe to take Mobizox for foot pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother, who is 36 years old, has a lot of pain in the ball of right foot. It is like a sharp pain both on the foot as well as in the toes. He is overweight with 98 kg and he is of height 5 feet 7 inches. He is taking NAC 75 painkiller. But, the pain comes back once he stops eat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gout is a condition with elevated uric acid levels. It commonly affects great toe rather than ball of foot. Is your brother's great toe swollen along with the pain in the ball of the toe? How long he has been suffering from the pain? Since when he is aware of his uric ...  Read Full

Ask a Rheumatologist Now