Q. What is the cause of overactive bladder?

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Published on Aug 21, 2018

I am 53 years old male. I am suffering from prostate and overactive problems for the past eight years. I did many time ultrasound and cystoscopy. I have inflammation in bladder and prostate. I feel the inflammation and a burning sensation in the urethra. My bladder is overactive. I took many antibiotics, prostrate and overactive medicine for the past eight years. But there is no improvement. One time the doctor injected botox injection into my bladder. But there is also no improvement. The doctor is giving medicine for one week to one month. But my infection is recurrent. At night, I am urinating for every 30 minutes to one hour while sleeping. During the day I urinate every one and a half to two hours. Every time I feel the discomfort and burning sensation in the bladder and urethra. When I have a prostate infection, I have pain and discomfort from rectum to penis. Last week, I checked my PSA value it was 0.36 ng/mL. I am taking tablets Vesicare, Ditropan, Omnic, Unoflox, Spasmic, Cipram, Levocin, and Urispas.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

You are having a severe case of overactive bladder. From your history, it appears that you have tried out almost all the available treatments for overactive bladder. At present, botox therapy is the least invasive and most efficient in the management of OAB (overactive bladder). It is essential that you should continue conservative approaches like fluid restrictions and medication. If the symptoms are bothersome, you can consult your local urologist regarding the availability of neuromodulation in your area. It is the current recommendation for patients not responding to any other measures. It involves sending nerve impulses through your pelvic nerves with an implant which will regulate your bladder contraction.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

I am taking medicines for an overstretched bladder with no improvement. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a problem of urine dripping for two to three minutes after I urinate. Also, even if I do not have an urge to urinate, I end up passing large amounts of urine. I visited a doctor and he ordered some tests, the results of which I have attached. After seeing the report, the doctor s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You do have an overstretched bladder. It is as a result of your habit of holding urine for too long. I suggest the following: Restrict fluid intake, especially at bed...  Read Full

Anal Fissure: Causes, Prevention, and Treatments.

Article Overview: Pain in the anus is one of the most common complaints encountered in the outpatient clinics. The pain is sometimes described by the patient as 'my worst pain ever. This article provides some suggestions on how to avoid facing this annoying issue by making few dietary and lifestyle changes. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

An anal fissure is a tear or ulcer that develops in the lining of the anal canal after passing a hard motion. Actually, it affects one in ten people at some point in their lives. All age groups and both sexes are affected equally. Causes Constipation is the most common cause either by itself or ...  Read Article

Apart from surgery, how can spasmodic dysphonia be treated?

Query: Hi doctor, Few years ago, I had spasmodic dysphonia. My voice was husky and high pitched. I took medicines and speech therapy. There was slight improvement in my voice but after that my voice is high pitched. I want deeper voice that is manly voice. What should I do? Is there any way to get deeper ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spasmodic dysphonia is one of the difficult conditions to treat and patient motivation is most important. Speech therapy is tried always and some benefit is there. Botox injection in spastic muscle will give best results, but speech therapy has to be followed. Botox ha...  Read Full