Q. Will Botox treat a weak detrusor muscle and an overactive bladder?

Dr. Praveen Pushkar
Published on Jun 01, 2017

I have been told that I have a weak detrusor muscle and an overactive bladder. I feel constant irritation in the bladder and sometimes, my lower abdomen area swells up. I had negative urine cultures, and I have been told Botox may help me, but I can only have 50 % or so strength due to the weak detrusor. Can you confirm that Botox and bladder hydrodistention will eliminate constant irritation feeling? Also, can the detrusor ever recover?

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Andrology Urology
#

• Botox is used for overactive bladder, once oral anticholinergic medication fails to give benefit. Botox gives benefit for 6 to 9 months, so it has to be repeated after a year.
  • There is a risk of detrusor acontractility after injection, for which you might have to use CIC (clean intermittent catheterization). Detrusor gets recovered with time.
  • Hydrodistension may be beneficial for the constant irritation feeling which you used to have. This is mainly used for interstitial cystitis (IC).

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Thanks for replying. Is it possible that detrusor can recover in time but not 100%? And the Botox will not help with constant irritation, right? My doctor does not think I have IC. Also sometimes, I get urethral twitching.

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Andrology Urology
#

• Theoretically, it is possible but practically, I have never seen detrusor strength recovering 100 %. In fact, overactivity starts after six months and by nine months to a year, same baseline activity is seen.
  • But initially after injection, it is possible that you might have to use CIC but strength will return. Do not go for hydrodistension in the same sitting. First just get Botox injection then evaluate the results.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Is surgery advisable for abductor spasmodic dysphonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from abductor spasmodic dysphonia diagnosed nearly 11 years ago and I have received Botox injections every three to four months since then. Generally, they did work over the years until the last two years or so outcomes have been very poor. The last Botox shots by GA (six un...  Read Full >>

Dr. Girish Subash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you have to know that among spasmodic dysphonias, abductor variety is the least common type. In this, your vocal cord is away from the other vocal cord and the muscle is in unrestricted contraction resulting in voiceless or breathy voice. So, the treatment...  Read Full

Anal Fissure: Causes, Prevention, and Treatments.

Article Overview: Pain in the anus is one of the most common complaints encountered in the outpatient clinics. The pain is sometimes described by the patient as 'my worst pain ever. This article provides some suggestions on how to avoid facing this annoying issue by making few dietary and lifestyle changes. Read Article

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

An anal fissure is a tear or ulcer that develops in the lining of the anal canal after passing a hard motion. Actually, it affects one in ten people at some point in their lives. All age groups and both sexes are affected equally. Causes Constipation is the most common cause either by itself or ...  Read Article