Q. Will Botox treat a weak detrusor muscle and an overactive bladder?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Pushkar and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Detrusor Weakness or Cic? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have been told that I have a weak detrusor muscle and an overactive bladder. I feel constant irritation in the bladder and sometimes, my lower abdomen area swells up. I had negative urine cultures, and I have been told Botox may help me, but I can only have 50 % or so strength due to the weak detrusor. Can you confirm that Botox and bladder hydrodistention will eliminate constant irritation feeling? Also, can the detrusor ever recover?