Urinary Retention

Is it good to take Olanzapine for depression?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting treatment for anxiety, depression, OCD, and untreated childhood ADHD. Currently, I am taking Serta 100 and Zapiz 0.5. I took Olanzapine for four months. Now I stopped taking it slowly due to daytime sleepiness. I am grateful to have these medicines as it has changed my life. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation and you are doing good. You have depression at present. You are taking one of the good medication for your depression. You must continue your medication. You should try to follow these guidelines to deal with your depression. It will be h...  Read Full »

Why do I get heart pain when I get an urge to pass urine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 39 years old. I feel heart pain at midnight or in the early morning when I wake up. This pain releases when I pass urine. For urine retention and enlarged bladder (my USG detected 500 ml), I am under medication, Silidosin, and Urotone. In the morning, sometimes I feel like ejacul...  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Sexologist, Diabetologist, Andrologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I checked out your reports and prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see vitamin D deficiency. Kindly share more details. Do you ejaculate morning or during sleep? Is there any itching or allergy? Are you talking about nocturnal emi...  Read Full »

How is interstitial cystitis treated?

Query: Hi!I am making this enquiry on behalf of my niece who has been suffering from a bladder condition called IC (interstitial cystitis). Despite numerous tests and medicines, she suffers from retention, urgency and frequency which has severely affected her quality of life. She's only 16 and has had this...  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

General Practitioner, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Thank you for contacting iCliniq. I can very well understand that your niece‘s condition is of concern for you. You did not mention if she had already a cystoscopy. For the definitive diagnosis of a interstitial cystitis a cystoscopy is mandatory. As to the therapy, even in the most advanced ...  Read Full »

Can you provide a second opinion for prostate operation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 74 year old male. 15 days ago, I have had high fever (103 degrees F) with shivering. The actual problem started before 20 days and I was unable to pass urine for three days. I was admitted to hospital due to fever and then discharged after five days of stay. I guess, It was found ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrologist, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, the prostate gland is enlarged and weighing more than 100 g. You also have other comorbidities like ischemic bowel disease and diabetes. At this juncture, I would suggest you tabl...  Read Full »

Can blood in urine occur due to the irritation of catheter tip on the bladder?

Query: Hello doctor, I went into total urinary retention on March 14. I attended an ER and a foley's catheter was fitted, and I was advised that I had a slightly enlarged prostate (BHP). A week later, I was prescribed Tamsulosin 400 mcg. On March 26, the catheter was removed, but I went into retention ag...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Coming to your query, I will answer first your questions step by step. For you doubt regarding, could the tip of the catheter be grating at the bladder wall and causing bleeding. Yes, but chances are minute and the amount of blood is also less. You can say sometimes cl...  Read Full »

Is it possible to have changes in cystoscopy result due to prolonged foley catheter usage?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been on a foley catheter since two. COVID prohibited the procedure at that time. I am having a cystoscopy on the 18th of this month. If all is well, will my bladder be too weak since it has been on the foley for so long? Foley has been a pain and I am on Xarelto and Plavix w...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Coming back to your query, you need to answer some of my questions first. When the catheter was put how much urine came in the first 15 minutes (did your bag get filled fully, half or what)? Were you on a floral Finastride combination before you were put on a cathet...  Read Full »

Drinking lots of water but not urinating. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I drank a good amount of water (five to six bottles), but I only peed like 6 or 7 times. Three of those times barely, almost none, came out. I woke up this morning having the urge to pee, and when I did it, I still feel like I could have peed a lot more. I went out this morning and came ho...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, the amount of urine passed is not proportional to the water consumption. The body can absorb water from the urine in the kidneys. Hence, the amount of urine is monitored by the body using hormones. Because of the urge and the pressure application you are having t...  Read Full »

I am taking medicines for an overstretched bladder with no improvement. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a problem of urine dripping for two to three minutes after I urinate. Also, even if I do not have an urge to urinate, I end up passing large amounts of urine. I visited a doctor and he ordered some tests, the results of which I have attached. After seeing the report, the doctor s...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You do have an overstretched bladder. It is as a result of your habit of holding urine for too long. I suggest the following: Restrict fluid intake, especially at bed...  Read Full »

After urinating, I feel some amount of urine is retained in my penis. Can I take Gokharu Kadha?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old male, and I am having frequent urination. Every time I urinate, there is some amount of urine retained in my penis, and it does not come out. It is causing discomfort, and when I sit down on the toilet, then 1 to 2 drops of urine comes out, but it still does not co...  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. As you have a problem with urination and all your investigations are normal, then you might have weak pelvic muscles. To strengthen the pelvic muscles, I suggest you try doing the following. Do Kegel exercises regularly. Learn these exercises ...  Read Full »

How does spina bifida progress?

Query: Hello doctor, I have spina bifida, which is a slow degenerative syndrome. In the long run, what kind of deterioration will take place?  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Solanki

General Surgeon, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spina bifida may progress to involve both legs, where one may develop tingling, numbness, and weakness. One may also develop urinary retention and overflow incontinence. Many times if there is associated cranial abnormality like Chiari malformation, then similar sympt...  Read Full »