Common "Urinary Retention" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Urinary Retention

After an incomplete bladder emptying, an uncomfortable sensation to urinate occurs, resulting from urinary retention. This can cause pain in the lower abdomen and a burning sensation while trying to urinate in acute conditions. Urinary obstruction due to stones, strictures, urethral inflammation, prostate cancer, prostate enlargement, vulvovaginitis, etc., can cause urine retention. Medications, pelvic muscle strengthening exercises, bladder training, catheterization, and urethral stents are available treatment modalities.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have urinary retention even after delivery. What is wrong with me?

Query: Hello doctor, I had urinary retention during pregnancy, so I had a catheter for a week, and I had problems throughout. I gave birth five weeks ago, but whenever I go to the toilet, I still feel like I need to go again. And sometimes, I do not get the normal sensation to urinate, and I have to press ...  Read Full »

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Sorry to hear about your urinary problems. By the history, it seems you have hypocontractile detrusor, as you do not get the sensation to urinate. And even after urination, there is a significant amount of residual urine. You must have undergone uroflowmetry or urody...  Read Full »

Why do my bladder pain and pressure worsen on holding more than 200 ml of urine in my bladder?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old male with some ongoing urinary problems. Over the past 18 months, I have experienced mild to moderate pain and pressure in my bladder. It worsens if I try to hold my urine, and it is almost always noticeable when I have more than 200 ml of urine in my bladder. Hence...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandip Pramanik

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The symptoms you have referred to are lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). You are having mixed LUTS, which means storage and voiding symptoms. These things at this age are usually due to CP or CPPS (chronic prostatitis or chronic pelvic pain syndrome). You need to v...  Read Full »

I had an MRI of my prostate. Please review my reports.

Query: Hi doctor,I have enlarged prostate, urinary retention, and hematuria for almost a year. I had MRI of prostate done. I would like to have the interpretation of images. Currently, I am on Flowmax and Finasteride.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The MRI scan of the prostate (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows a grossly enlarged prostate which is indenting the lumen of the urinary bladder and which you are probably aware of. Further, the median lobe of the prostate is showing hypertrophy and p...  Read Full »

I have spina bifida. How will the condition progress?

Query: Hello doctor, I have spina bifida, which is a slow degenerative syndrome. In the long run, what kind of deterioration will take place?  Read Full »

Dr. Solanki Chirag Natwarbhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Spina bifida may progress to involve both legs, where one may develop tingling numbness and weakness. One may also develop urinary retention and overflow incontinence. Many times if there is associated cranial abnormality like Chiari malformation, then similar symptoms...  Read Full »

Why is my bladder still overstreched despite medication?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a problem of urine dripping for two to three minutes after I urinate. Also, even if I do not have an urge to urinate, I end up passing large amounts of urine. I visited a doctor and he ordered some tests, the results of which I have attached. After seeing the report, the doctor s...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello,Welcome to have read your query and gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You do have an overstretched bladder. It is as a result of your habit of holding urine for too long. I suggest you to, restrict fluid intake, especially at bedtime, emp...  Read Full »

How deal with pain, urine blockage, and penis inflammation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had pain on the tip of my penis for a few months now. I got tested for STDs, there is no STD present. I got tested for a urinary tract infection, there is no bacteria present and no sign of an infection in the urine samples. I also got tested for a mycosis, there does not seem to b...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The problem appears to be chronic prostatitis. Often, the symptoms are the sensation of incomplete voiding, dysuria, pain in parts of the urethra or perineum, low backache or pain in the calf. I would suggest, tablet Nitrofurantoin SR 100 mg twice daily for one month, a...  Read Full »

Is it good to take Olanzapine for depression?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting treatment for anxiety, depression, OCD, and untreated childhood ADHD. Currently, I am taking Serta 100 and Zapiz 0.5. I took Olanzapine for four months. Now I stopped taking it slowly due to daytime sleepiness. I am grateful to have these medicines as it has changed my life. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your situation and you are doing good. You have depression at present. You are taking one of the good medication for your depression. You must continue your medication. You should try to follow these guidelines to deal with your depression. It will be h...  Read Full »

What is the reason behind urinary retention?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, 66-year-old, has been having some discomfort in the upper abdomen for five days. She has been experiencing some gas and tightness in the upper abdomen. Her stools are a little constipated, but she is going every day. She has had a fever between 99 to 100 degrees F for five d...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Went through your post and the investigations you have posted (attachment removed to preserve the patient's identity). Your mother has an infection evident by high white blood count (WBC), with predominant cells being neutrophils. Patients with diabetes do not have feve...  Read Full »

How do I manage pressure to pass stools and anal fissures?

Query: Hello doctor, Whenever I go to the restroom, I have to push hard to pass stools as I have an anal fissure. The pus comes out in large amounts, and the fissure hurts. I have had these problems for the past two years. I do not know what to do. Now I am having urinary problems too. I find it difficult ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. As per your history and attached reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), I think you suffer from anal fissure. You need surgery to remove the affected area. I suggest you take a fiber-rich diet to avoid constip...  Read Full »

How is interstitial cystitis treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am asking this inquiry on behalf of my niece. She suffers from a bladder condition called interstitial cystitis. She suffers from retention, urgency, and frequency even after taking numerous tests and medicines. It has affected her life severely. She has this problem for two years and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. You did not mention whether she has done a cystoscopy. For getting the definitive diagnosis of interstitial cystitis, a cystoscopy is mandatory. You can treat this condition by taking Amitriptyline. I cannot predict whether it will work for yo...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.