Q. Can Bactrim treatment for UTI cause blood in urine?

Dr. Arpit Varshney
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B

I have been diagnosed with a UTI. I started seeing blood while going to the bathroom after three days of Bactrim; earlier, no bleeding was there. I am a diabetic, and I am on NovoLog insulin injection. Kindly help.

#

I have read your concern in detail and will surely help you out.

UTI (urinary tract infection) is a common complication in diabetic patients, especially when their sugar level is not under control. It can be cured with the right antibiotics and appropriate sugar control. Now coming on to the blood in the urine, it is a rare side effect of Bactrim (Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) antibiotic. So in your case, I doubt that this is due to the Bactrim tablet.

I suspect a renal injury in your case, which is common with diabetes and UTI. The best way to ensure this is to get a urine routine examination and ultrasound of the kidney, ureters, and bladder (KUB); this will detect any ongoing kidney damage.

Also, I would suggest you kindly stop Bactrim for now and shift to a better antibiotic like tablet Nitrofurantoin 100 mg twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines after consulting them.

Once you get these tests done, you can share the reports with me, and we can discuss the further plan of action. Also, I suggest checking your HbA1c (hemoglobin A1c) levels just to check if insulin is doing a good job of controlling your blood sugar or not. There is no need to worry; you are going to be healthy with the right diagnosis and treatment.

I hope this helps. Kindly revert back in case of any further queries.

|