Q. Does Esmya help in getting rid of uterine fibroids?

Dr. Saumya Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2022 and last reviewed on: Oct 21, 2022

I have heard about a medicine called Esmya, but I do not know much about it. It probably shrinks the fibroid. My gynecologist told me that surgery is necessary because I have a big fibroid which is around 83 mm X 70 mm. But I took an opinion from another gynecologist, and she recommended Esmya. Another doctor told me that Esmya is just a temporary solution, and when I finish the pill, the fibroid will return again, and Esmya might have some side effects. I am confused. Please advise

#

Esmya (Ulipristal acetate) is temporary, and when you have finished the pill, the fibroid comes back again, and Esmya (like all medicines) might have some side effects. Therefore, I suggest you consult a specialist and take Esmya with their consent and not go for the surgery because you do not have children yet, so surgery is not a good option for you. Once you have decided that you do not want any kids, take the surgery and stop medicines.

|