Q. I have submucosal uterine fibroid. Will it affect my pregnancy?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 18, 2015 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 30 year old woman. I was healthy and normal. But before two months, I was detected with a 2 cm x 1.8 cm x 2 cm submucosal fibroid in the uterus due to which I am feeling very dejected now. Please guide me.



Welcome to I can understand your concern.

A lot of females are diagnosed with incidental fibroids and in most cases these can be resected easily. These does not pose serious risk to fertility and do not worry about it.

The feeling of dejection can occur due to mild depression or rather I would call this as adjustment disorder. Try to remain relaxed. Discuss the prognosis with your gynaecologist and do not remain dejected.

In some case, medicines like low dose SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) as Fluoxetine or Sertraline can be used. These medicines will help to improve the mood and will help to give you positive mood.

Do not remain worried. If there are no symptoms and fibroid is incidental then this would not cause any serious effects on your health.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Hi doctor,

Fibroids are causing irregular uterine bleeding. I am afraid of surgery. Unless it gets removed, will it affect my pregnancy?



Welcome back to

First of all I would like to tell you that fibroids are benign growths. So, the treatment is totally successful in most of cases.

  • The size of fibroid in your case is not very big and this can be resected by myomectomy. Myomectomy will result in removal of local lesion and this will not cause any effects on fertility.
  • Gonadotrophins can be used to reduce the size and once the size is reduced then the mass can be removed easily.
  • If you do not want to go for large surgery then hysteroscopic removal can be done. You just have to consult a reputed gynaecologist.

Even a trained interventional radiologist can help to cut the blood supply to fibroid and the size will decrease. So, do not remain dejected.

The fibroids are not very serious masses. Remain relaxed and take the proper advice as soon as possible.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Hi doctor,

Before three months, I used to be a lively person and extremely energetic. Suddenly due to stiffness of neck, trembling of head, dizziness and sudden change in bowel movements I contacted a neurologist. He prescribed Shine 10, Inderal 10, Sibelium and Myoril. But, that did not end my problem. I started spotting in between menses and my periods became totally irregular in just three months. I came to know through TVS ultrasound that I have a 2 cm submucosal fibroid and pcos for which I never felt any symptoms throughout life. Doctors told me that I have to do surgery and I feel I may lose my uterus through surgery. Astrologers have predicted that I may not have any child at all. Suddenly my life became so stressed that I feel afraid to get out of house. My queries are, is it possible for me to live a normal, healthy and energetic life? Does the physical energy of a person decreases considerably in 30s than 20s? How much blood can average human afford to lose on daily basis and manage to stay healthy? Can a woman conceive between 30 and 35?



Welcome back to I hope you are doing well now. First of all I would like to tell you that do not anticipate anything.

You have been diagnosed with submucosal fibroid of 2 cm and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and this is a treatable condition. This is not a serious issue so try to remain relaxed.

Do not believe in astrologers, they put any individuals in doubts just to make money. Just remember that the condition is not serious.

Yes, you will be able to lead a normal life like any other individual. Fibroids are just anatomical conditions and if taken proper treatment, it will get cured.

You are feeling reduction in your energy levels just because of your anxiety related to the illness. Due to anxiety and depressive symptoms which developed after illness cause loss of energy and fatigue.

As long as nutrition is maintained properly, mild blood loss does not cause much problem. But, the cause should be treated urgently. The symptoms should not be ignored.

Yes, definitely a woman can conceive between 30 and 35. Even after 40 a lot of women conceive. So, no need to worry.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Hi doctor,

Since you are a doctor of sexology too I would like to ask few questions. Does having a retroverted uterus make sex painful? Is there a chance to bleed after sex? Does retroverted uterus cause difficulty in conceiving or ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage? Does submucosal fibroid make sex painful or bleeding after sex? My husband is unable to penetrate with condom. Even I used to get lubricated very easily. But in the past four months I am not getting enough lubrication due to extreme stress. So, our sex life has come to a halt. Please guide.



Welcome back to

Retroverted uterus (tilted uterus) might cause pain during intercourse but only when deep penetration is there. In most females during gentle intercourse the chances of pain remain in lower range.

Some positions especially girl on top position the discomfort is maximum while in missionary position pain usually does not occur.

There is some risk that chances of pregnancy are reduced but that is not very significant. So, no need to worry much for that.

Yes, submucosal fibroids might cause pain during intercourse or bleeding after intercourse. But, that is not seen in every woman suffering from fibroids.

Your husband is getting erections but not maintaining it. As you have submucosal fibroid and this is a stressful situation to both of you. This might be the reason that he is under stress and not sustaining erection.

Poor interest in sex is resulting in dryness of vagina during intercourse. You have to accept that you have fibroid and thought this is stressful thing but that is not a serious thing. Do not let this thing to deteriorate your sexual life.

For good lubrication in you and for good erection in your husband spend a huge time in foreplay. Try to find new methods to excite him. Spend a lot of time in talking before intercourse. This will help in getting more and more intimate.

If penetration is getting difficult due to dryness you can ask your husband to use some lubricant (water based lubricants as KY JELLY). This will help in good penetration and will enhance your sex life.

For some time instead of barrier method you can start using contraceptive pills during intercourse. This will help in improving confidence of your husband.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can uterine fibroid be cured without surgery?

I have heavy bleeding from two or three months ... The heavy bleeding may be due to the fibroid and menopausal symptoms ...   Read full

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

that worsens with life stressors with the occurrence of negative life events ... stress of GAD ...   Read full

Postpartum Depression

History of bipolar disorder ... Family history of depression or other psychological disorders ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.