Q. For uterine fibroid, how quickly should I get surgery?

Dr. Abiodun A
Published on Nov 01, 2016

I am 46 and a mother of three children. I have been diagnosed with multiple fibroids a few in the anterior wall intramural and a few on the posterior wall and a bulky 134 x 74 x 87 mm uterus. The endometrium is displaced posteriorly. The symptom is mainly heavy menstrual bleeding that lasts for eight to nine days. The symptoms began not more than a year ago. Ultrasound with an interval of two months shows slight growth. My doctor advised hysterectomy. Is it absolutely necessary for my condition? If so, then how quickly should I undergo the surgery? Is there any medication or alternative treatment that can be relied long term to avoid surgery? What are the possible consequences that I shall expect if I decide against hysterectomy?

Dr. Abiodun A

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You are having symptomatic uterine fibroid. Since it is symptomatic and you have had children, then the best for you is to go for a hysterectomy. This will make you to have peace of mind.

If you do not get surgery, then there is a tendency of recurrent heavy menstrual bleeding resulting in fatigue and weakness. Then there is a chance of recurrent blood transfusion with all the complications associated with blood transfusion.

The alternative is the use of drugs, which can only be used for a short period and the fibroid will grow back once you stop using the medicine. The drugs may also have so many side effects.

As a consultant gynecologist, who sees patients with large fibroids, I will advise you go for a hysterectomy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My mom had hysterectomy for adenocarcinoma. Is radiation therapy compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother had complex endometrial hyperplasia for which surgery was fixed and last week, hysterectomy along with salpingo-oophorectomy and pelvic lymphonodectomy was done. After surgery, the parts were sent for histopathology. It was diagnosed as stage-2 endometrial adenocarcinoma. The...  Read Full »

Had hysterectomy long back and spotting now. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hi doctor, I am spotting for the past three days. I had complete hysterectomy about 23 years ago and I am not sexually active. Why am I spotting? Should I be concerned? I am currently on Plavix, Aspirin and Lipitor.  Read Full »

I got myself tested as I had a blood transfusion before six years. Please explain my report.

Query: Hi doctor, I had myself tested because I have had a blood transfusion before six years and visit many hospitals for my job. I have no symptoms. I just went to the laboratory and did not understand my results. Can you interpret them for me? Also, can you explain the cut-off value? Thank you.  Read Full »