Q. I am pregnant and have UTI. Please help.

I was diagnosed with a UTI a few days back and prescribed Cephalexin 500 mg four times a day. I only have four pills left and some of my symptoms are gone but some still remain. I was told this is caused by strep B. I am 18 weeks pregnant and will be 19 weeks in a few days. I want the baby to be healthy and safe and am unsure what to do next. This is my third pregnancy and baby and this will be my third cesarean. I worry about this affecting the baby.

#

You may repeat the urinary routine microscopy test again and if the symptoms are still present, likely that you are resistant to Cephalexin and hence can be started on Nitrofurantoin 100 mg which is category B pregnancy drug and safe in pregnancy. It can be prophylactically taken daily once till delivery and then two weeks post-partum to avoid any chances of recurrent UTI during pregnancy and negating canes of preterm labor. You may discuss with your obstetrician and discuss the option.

|