Q. I noticed yellowish-white odorless discharge and itchy vagina. How to cure it?

Answered by
Dr. Balakrishnan. R
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 04, 2021

Hi doctor,

I got married a few months back. I have yellowish-white, odorless discharge. It leaves stain and itches quite a bit. I noticed something weird, and after intercourse, my husband could see something similar around his genitals. And that is itchy too. I tried using Abzorb antifungal powder, but no help from that. We are not in our country right now and so cannot get access to most medicines. How to cure my discharge? Before marriage too, I have experienced something similar. I had treatment for that, but do not have that prescription now. Please help.



Welcome to

From your history, this is a genital infection. This is not the same that occurs before sexual exposure, as that is not yellow or itchy. These two feature makes infection as the source.

It is usually seen as a genital or urinary infection in males, which is not always very evident. When there is a trigger like sex, it appears. As you do not have access to medications, I can only suggest you both to have a lot of water to wash away the infections in the bladder as usually both genitals and bladder get infected together.

Use Vaginal washes (V Wash or Intiwash) twice a day and after every penetration into the vagina. Your husband also can use the same. These are not chemicals, and so there is no side effect. Both of you should pass urine after sex, as this will wash out infection in the bladder. If you can get some vaginal suppository of antibiotic plus antifungal, then use it for five to seven days vaginal at night.

It is cruel to say to a newlywed couple, but if you can postpone penetrative sex for a few days, the problem will be solved or at least use a condom. It will prevent infection transmission. Vaginal infection is transmitted during sex, so partner is the source. Both have to be treated at a time, or else you will get infected the next time of sex.

You may have white or yellow or grayish discharge with or without itching, foul smell, pain at beginning of sex due to dryness (as the lubrication will be reduced) and late towards the end, when fully erect penis touches the innermost vagina (due to inflammation of the structures around the uterus) and pain radiating to the back or thighs. Associated to infection, the bowel movement is affected, and also features of gastritis will be present.

Bleeding of periods will be thicker, darker, may smell bad and more days with spotting after the periods too. Pain is throbbing even before periods and last after periods over also. Before treatment confirm that you are not pregnant. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and you both take the treatment mentioned below with consent.

  1. Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg stat only one tablet after lunch.
  2. Tablet Azithromycin 1 g stat only one tablet 1 hour before food.
  3. Tablet Secnidazole forte, two tablets after dinner.

All these should be taken on the same day by both of you. Later you have capsule Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for one week, Vaginal wash with V-wash or similar cleanser twice a day and vaginal pessary Clingen forte or Candid-CL or Cansoft CL once at night for five nights. Your partner can have a local application of antibiotic and antifungal cream (Candid B or Candiderma or Lobate GM) on the penis twice a day after wash for seven days. Do not have sex till the infection is entirely gone. Do treat it as delay may send the infection inwards and may affect both you and your partner's future fertility. Hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more questions. All the best.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What does waterlike vaginal discharge indicate?

I suggest having a course of antibiotics like capsule Doxycycline 100 mg orally twice a day for seven days and capsule Cansoft-CL (Clotrimazole and Clindamycin) or Clingen forte (Clotrimazole and...   Read full

How to treat itchy bumps on my vagina?

Also, you and your partner need to take tablet Syscan 150 mg (Fluconazole) once on day 1 of your period for three cycles ...   Read full

Is it safe to apply antifungal cream on the tip of penis?

.. read your query in detail and do understand your concern .. ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Malaria Prevention Using Monoclonal Antibodies
A recent phase 1 study proved monoclonal antibodies effective in preventing malaria. Read the article to know more.  Read more»
Surgical Ostomy - Types, Causes, Procedure, and Complications
This article briefly discusses ostomy, a surgical procedure where an opening is created between the segment of the gastr...  Read more»
Rotavirus Infection - Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Rotaviruses are among the most common causes of severe diarrhoeal disease in young children worldwide. Read the article ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.