Q. What can cause white sticky discharge while on birth control?

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

I am currently on Microgestin birth control and I have been instructed to take it constantly to have no periods. About a year ago, I was treated for chlamydia and never had a problem since then. About a month ago, I missed my pill for birth control while having the flu and a week back, I have noticed white sticky discharge with no smell and very light spotting. And I am wearing a pad because it is very wet and uncomfortable. There is nothing abnormal other than the discharge. Am I ovulating or going through some sort of cycle? Please guide.

#

I understand your concern.

• Hormonal birth control pill increase chance of vaginal discharge. But, in my opinion you should get one pap smear (screening for cervical cancer) done. Then let us see.
  • Use Vaginal wash for washing intimate parts and use cotton lingeries.

Please get pap smear and update the report.

Revert back with the pap smear report to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|