Q. My mother has varicose veins. Can she get the COVID vaccine?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 11, 2021

My mother has planned to take the COVID-19 vaccine tomorrow. Her age is 62 years, and her weight is 39 kg. She has a varicose vein in her legs. I have attached the picture. Can she take the COVID vaccine with varicose vein? Can we take a bath after the COVID-19 vaccine? Can we take steam inhalation after the vaccine? Do we need to take any blood test or heart-related test? Please advise what to follow and not follow before and after the vaccine. Kindly give your opinion.

#

I have seen the picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Yes, she can take the vaccine even though she has varicose veins. She can take steam after that. She can bathe as well.No blood test just for the sake of vaccine. Regarding precautions before and after taking the vaccine, take some rest. The vaccine can cause some fever and body pains for a few days to a week. I suggest you take Paracetamol 650 whenever fever or body ache occurs. Do not worry about the vaccine. It is quite safe. Which vaccine is she taking? I hope this was helpful.

We do not know which vaccine to take. Many of us are suggesting going for Covaxin, but it is not available here. We also heard about the blood clotting issue with Covishield. We have a fear of taking Covishield now. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Both the vaccines are equally good. But one is a live attenuated vaccine, and the other is a killed one. Covishield is live, and Covaxin is killed. So theoretically, Covishield has some very minute potential of causing the disease than Covaxin, theoretically speaking. But in reality, none of these are capable of causing any infection. But in those with really poor immunity, we tend to prefer a killed vaccine to a live one. She can go for Covishield. Please take some vaccines as soon as possible, whatever is available. I hope this was helpful.

|