Q. Why is a vascular dementia patient having choking?

Published on Jun 14, 2018

My 89-year-old husband is on Coumadin, no other medications. He has vascular dementia. I took him off all antipsychotic drugs a year ago and he is no longer aggressive. A few weeks ago he began choking. I took him to the ER. They diagnosed acid reflux. I disagreed as he does not have the usual symptoms and I do. He continues to choke a few times a week complaining about something stuck deep down in his esophagus. He tries to cough it up and then says it is clear again. An appointment with a ENT is months away. What can this be? I would greatly appreciate an opinion. He is in failing health due to age-related medical problems. He never smokes, never drank. His appetite is good and blood pressure acceptable, no fever.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post. Well, choking is one of the leading causes of death in elderly with age more than 75 and causes are usually food related like too spicy for age, hard food or hot food abs sometimes aerated drinks. The condition is aggravated by what is called contribution from Parkinson's disease. A proper food eating technique and avoiding certain foods will help. In addition, an endoscopy with an occasional need to esophageal manometry will help to establish the diagnosis.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

He does not eat spicy food ever and absolutely no carbonated beverages. He eats very healthy and has not changed his eating habits over the years. The choking episodes happen at quiet intervals and strangely, not while eating. I will try to get an appointment with an ENT doctor as soon as possible.

#

Yes, an appointment with ENT to look for any physical abnormality in the throat and for time being will need a diet as advised and ENT will help him few throat exercises which will prevent choking.

Can Donep M forte and Rejunex CD3 be given together?

Query: Hello doctor, My father suffered a brain stroke before six months and following that, his body is partially paralyzed from the right side. We have shown him to two neurologists and got confused after both gave completely different diagnoses. He had diabetes for a very long time and had blood pressu...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed all your father's therapy. I would explain that there is no interaction between these drugs and it is fine to take them concomitantly. Donep-M (Donepezil plus Memantine) is a drug used for dementia. While Rejunex CD3 is composed of vitamin B1 and alpha lip...  Read Full

Why do I get joint pain, rashes, dry mouth and eyes, bruises along with fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a fever for over a year now. I have joint pain in wrists and awaiting ultrasound guided steroid injections. I have three deformed fingers, premature ventricular contractions, shortness of breath, chest pain, upper back pain, neck stiffness, cracking and pain. I have dry mouth,...  Read Full >>

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, it does look like you are having an autoimmune problem. But, the type of rash, puffy fingers, rash over the knuckles and fever does warrant us that we should evaluate you further. Secondly the dry eyes, dry mouth and choking. That is a bit of concern as we ne...  Read Full

Will Dexilant worsen reflux symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48-year-old female. I am 5'11" and I weigh 145 lbs. I have been generally healthy my whole life other than some minor chronic conditions (IBS, sinusitis). I had a hysterectomy two years back and appendectomy four years back. I was recently diagnosed with a sliding hiatal hernia...  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for that detailed history and uploaded EGD report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Reflux esophagitis does sometimes cause symptoms of inner ear pain, sore throat, and chronic cough, but it is much more common to have symptoms of choking duri...  Read Full