Q. Is it dangerous for a 2 year old to get a running nose?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2021

My 2 year old daughter has got running nose. But, there is no fever or chest block. This is the second time in this month. She sleeps with little noise from the nose. Is it dangerous for 2 years 3 months old to get a running nose? Can blocked nose cause the child to choke at night? Otherwise, she is active when awake. Please clarify my doubt.

#

There are a few points to be noted here.

• When the nose is blocked, air entry is achieved through the mouth which stays open. So, there is no choking with blocked nose. However, this may disturb the sleep of the child.
  • Recurrent episodes of a cough and cold without fever, especially during weather change signify that the child may be a case of hyper-reactive airway disease. This problem may stay up to the age of 8 years. However, certain medicines may be used to control the episodes.
  • Initially, we start with an occasional cough and cold syrups during the episodes. If no control is achieved, then we start Montelukast along with these syrups. If still no relief, then nebulization and inhalers may be tried. It is a step by step procedure.
  • As of now, I suggest you syrup Asthakind (Combination of Bromhexine, Guaifenesin, Menthol and Terbutaline) and syrup Maxtra (combination of Phenylephrine hydrochloride and Chlorpheniramine Maleate) for your child.
  • The warning signs are breathlessness or bluish discoloration in a child suffering from a cough and cold. It requires an urgent evaluation and admission to the nearest hospital.

For further information consult a paediatrician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

My daughter is taking about 20 breaths per minute and I can hear her breathing. There is no bluish color that I have seen, but do I have gone awake at night to watch for anything like breathlessness. I am a little anxious.

#

• 20 breaths per minute are fine. Do not worry. Only be watchful for the signs that I told you earlier.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

I thought that 20 breaths are very low for her. Is it anything to worry about if she has a running nose at this age?

#

• No, 20 breaths per minute while sleeping in a child is normal.
  • There is no need to worry about running nose as long as it is not recurrent and till it does not create issues in daily life activities.

Do you mean that running nose or cold is normal in children at this age?

#

• No, it is not normal. But, no need to worry so much about that.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

So, is it dangerous to have cold at this age or just not normal?

#

• No, it is not dangerous unless the warning signs that I have told you previously are present.

|