Q. Why did my heart rate drop to 32 after a knee replacement surgery?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Jul 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was in the recovery room after undergoing total knee replacement (TKR), and my heart rate dropped to 38. I felt weak and tired, so the nurse added something to my IV, and I felt fine, and all vitals returned to normal. They took me to my room, and I ate and was resting. My heart rate dropped to 32, and I was nauseated, cold, sweating, and very pale. The emergency team was called, and after 20 minutes, they got all my vital signs back to normal. They wired me with a portable heart monitor to see what was going on.

The next day, I was doing knee exercises with the nurse, we walked down the hall and returned to my room, and I was put in a chair to finish my exercises when I passed out. According to my heart monitor, my heart stopped for 30 seconds. I had no idea of what happened. After 30 minutes, the emergency team had all my vitals back to normal. I was taken to ICU. My heart chambers, valves, and arteries were normal. I am 61 years old with a history of stage IIIC colon cancer with six months of chemotherapy. I have no history of blackouts, heart issues, or family history of such. Next day they put in a pacemaker only as a precautionary measure, they cannot explain how or why it happened. Three weeks after, I do not have any problems. Do you think the TKR could have caused this to happen?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I have gone through all your explanations in detail.

• The closest possibility to the cause of your problem is most likely due to the effect of anesthesia. I have seen a few cases similar to this where post-operation there is a severe case of bradycardia without any evidence of heart condition. It is normally called vasovagal syncope.
  • In most cases, we use cardiac pacemakers temporarily. In the coming weeks, you should get better and be off the pacemaker. Wishing you a quick recovery. Best regards.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

My heart rate increases with exertion. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a severe doctor phobia. I am unable to go in for care, but I need to understand something happening better and if it is normal for my health. I had an episode of something a couple of months ago. I got extremely sick, started vomiting and sweating horribly, has chills and massivel...  Read Full »

I am a pacemaker-dependent individual. What are my chances of survival?

Query: Hello doctor, I will try to be brief. I am a 49 year old female who has been pacemaker dependent for several years. Due to cardiomyopathy EF of 30 %, BNP of 186, and a cardiac event resulting in high troponin. I eventually was switched to a biventricular pacemaker/defibrillator. I had an echo last ...  Read Full »

What does nonsustained ventricular tachycardia with orthostatic hypotension mean?

Query: Hello doctor,I was recently diagnosed by my cardiologist with nonsustained ventricular tachycardia, unspecified syncope type, and orthostatic hypotension. Also, during an echocardiogram, it was reported. I was recently diagnosed by my cardiologist with nonsustained ventricular tachycardia, unspecifi...  Read Full »