Q. My 14-year-old daughter fainted three days back in the morning. What could have caused it?

Answered by
Dr. Hardika Kothari
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

Hello doctor,

My 14 years old daughter fainted three days back in the morning when she woke up to study for her test. Her pulse was normal during the episode. She is okay now, but I want to know what could have caused it to prevent further occurence.



Welcome to

I hope she is doing fine now. There are numerous causes for fainting (syncope), such as dehydration due to improper intake of water, anemia, or menstrual cycle may also lead to syncope in female adolescents. It can also be due to vasovagal, which is the emotional upset, anxiety, sudden standing from sitting position, prolonged standing leading to vagal stimulation, and fall in cerebral perfusion causing fainting attacks. It can be due to cardiac - arrhythmia, structural heart disease, family history of heart disease, or sudden death in the family, neurological- may mimic seizure or vascular event. The specific triggers are positional changes, intercurrent illness, and emotional or painful stimulus, or a hot environment. These symptoms are typical for vasovagal syncope. Chest pain or palpitations immediately before syncope points toward cardiac disease and may require referral to a pediatric cardiologist and complete work up- blood pressure monitoring, ECG (electrocardiogram), 2-D ECHO (echocardiography), and 24 hrs Holter monitoring. If the above-mentioned causes are normal, then seek a neurologist's opinion. My advice is to take adequate fluid and salt intake, correction of anemia, avoidance of anxiety or pain or emotional upset. Seek cardiology opinion if history or symptoms points towards the cardiac origin (if hypertensive or cardiac disease, then salt restriction). I hope this has given you some insight. Feel free to revert back in case of any doubt.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is it normal for a patient to behave like a child after a fainting episode?

.. is suffering from conversion disorder, and the common name is hysteria. In hysteria, the patient does not have a physical basis for her symptoms. But at the same time, she is not doing willingly. It is a kind of protective mechanism of the brain,...   Read full

My son has periods of dizziness and fainting since one month. Please advise.

.. would like to let you know that the dizziness your son is undergoing could be due to a number of reasons. I would like to brief on the concern. Anemia, resulting from decreased hemoglobin. Seizure, assuming your son has no previous history o...   Read full

Can implantable cardioverter defibrillator cause AFib?

.. are implanted to terminate an episode of atrial arrhythmia. AFib (atrial fibrillation) is also a type of atrial arrhythmia. The ICD not only provides treatment for atrial arrhythmias, but also provides treatment for ventricular arrhythmias, as we...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Paediatrician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.