Q. Is it normal to get vision blackout after extreme laughing?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

While playing a game something happened that caused me to laugh extremely hard. It was just one yelp or laugh, but it was very strenuous, I could feel a lot of muscle tension if I remember correctly. I could tell I was about to blackout or pass out, my vision started to fade away, but only for a moment. I quickly recovered.

I just looked it up to see if laughing and passing out is normal, and most of what I can read only talk of a few documented cases of it every happening. I feel like I should talk to a doctor about it, I am sure it is nothing to worry about since most of the stuff I can read says it is not serious, but maybe it was something else or something unrelated that I would have no idea about since I am not a doctor.

One of the studies mentioned looking into medications that can cause hypotension, and when looking up a list of medications that do, I could not find anything I was on that matched. I have taken Acetaminophen, Aspirin, and Hydroxytryptophan along with some caffeine that is mixed in with the headache pills. I guess I am just curious about what this could be. It has never happened before.

#

You have posted an interesting and unusual query. At the outset, your description of the event does not look worrying. You have done some relevant research. It is true that sometimes laughter can induce vasovagal syncope. It can happen with any extreme emotion, stress, etc. You have possibly experienced some mild vasovagal symptoms which made you feel dizzy. Other common symptoms include feeling nauseous, sweating, heart beating fast, blurry vision, and fainting.

Other rare possibilities that could have caused your symptoms are low irregular heart rhythm, low BP, and low sugar. It will be reassuring if you can have your pulse, BP (blood pressure), and blood sugar checked by your primary care clinic. If you have experienced any other cardiac symptoms like chest pain on exertion, palpitations, and irregular heartbeat at any time it is advisable to consult your doctor.

|