Venlafaxine

How does Venlafaxine help with hot flushes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 51-year-old female in the menopausal stage. I have GAD and on Zoloft 100 mg for almost two years, and I heard that if I switch to Venlafaxine it will help the hot flushes that I am suffering from. So my question is, can I make an instant switch? If so, to what mg of Venlafaxine...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to inform you that Venlafaxine is definitely a better option when we need to deal with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) as well as hot flushes. However, the research has shown that Prestiq (Desv...  Read Full »

I lack energy and motivation on taking Venlafaxine for bipolar disorder. Should I increase the dose?

Query: Hello doctor, To start, I have bipolar disorder type II, social and generalized anxiety disorders. Previously, I failed to SSRI medications such as Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro. I tried Lithium, Depakote, and Carbamazepine with no success. However currently, I take 50 mg of Lamictal and 75 mg Venlafaxine...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good to know that you are responding to your current medication. Venlafaxine XR is an SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) which can be helpful when SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) have not been effective. I note that you have...  Read Full »

How to overcome the manic episodes caused by Cymbalta?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently was on Cymbalta minimum dose but did not feel better. I felt worse and was told to up the dose then I took 120 mg, still felt bad. So I abruptly stopped this and it triggered discontinue syndrome and hypermania. I have not felt the same since. I am not suffering so much now...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatrist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering the history of mania (even if it is drug-induced), it is not advisable to start Effexor alone in my opinion. So, I would suggest you discuss with your treating psychiatrist regarding starting Seroquel regularly as it also acts on depressive symptoms, or...  Read Full »

Please suggest the dosage of Pregabalin for fibromyalgia.

Query: Hello doctor, My sister takes 225 mg Pregabalin for fibromyalgia at 7 PM, but it is not giving any relief from pain. She has severe back pain. We tried another 150 mg at 10 PM and the pain reduced fairly. What is the right dose and at what time it should be given? I am attaching her medicine list fo...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, if that much dose is not effective in fibromyalgia you ought to change it. I understand she is on Quetiapine and also on Effexor (Venlafaxine). I understand that they started it for depression or bipolar disorder. Well, the other drugs you can consider...  Read Full »

Will Xanax withdrawal result in anxiety symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother who is 25 years old has been suffering from anxiety for the past four years. His doctor put him on Effexor and Elavil. Both the medicine has to be taken daily in addition to Xanax. Lately, the anxiety has developed into full blown panic attacks, two of which resulted in a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. From your description, it seems that your brother might have become dependent on Xanax (Alprazolam). Xanax belongs to Benzodiazepine group of drugs and is quite notorious for causing dependence if used for a longer period. Hence...  Read Full »

Is it safe to use Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine together?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently taking Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine together. There are discussions around adding Wellbutrin as well, I just wanted to get someone else thoughts on that combination of three drugs. Is it safe? Would it be effective? And is it a known combination of drugs which has been spec...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Combination antidepressant therapy works better if first line monotherapy has not been effective. I note that you are diagnosed with depression, anxiety and PTSD which can sometimes be challenging but gets better with the right treatment regimen. Different combinati...  Read Full »

When does the sedative effect of Effexor go away?

Query: Hello doctor, I have just started taking Effexor XR 75 mg for panic disorder for seven days. I felt so sedating, I cannot even get out of my bed. I really want to give it a chance, but this is too much for me. Will this go away? Should I change the medicines? What should I do? I do not want to give ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Effexor XR (Venlafaxine) can be quite sedating in few cases in which you have the following options. 1. If you are taking this medicine in the morning time, then it is advisable to use it at bed time. 2. Take the plain preparation of Effexor rather than XR, if the ...  Read Full »

I wish to wean Veniz without withdrawal symptoms. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. Currently, I am taking 225 mg Veniz XR for depression. I am taking it for the past 6 years. My problem is ED. For the past one year, I am suffering from erectile dysfunction. Please suggest me some medicine. I am unmarried. Can I use Sildenafil for one night stan...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, drugs like Sildenafil or Tadalafil can be used on SOS basis (as and when required). These drugs if used about half to one hour before intercourse can help to improve the erection and will make hard erection. Veniz XR (Venlafaxine) can increase adrenergic output an...  Read Full »

What are the withdrawal symptoms of discontinuing Celexa in the middle?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently went off my medicine Celexa, that I was taking on for over 10 years. I went through a lot of trauma in the past 4 years. I was just starting to do better and was using natural supplements. 5 months after going off medicines, I moved to a different town where I had to look fo...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query in detail. I can understand what you are going through and you have my sympathies for the same. Though your mental health is quite disturbed right now, you have many reasons to be optimistic as far as your anxiety, depression and post-...  Read Full »

Can Fluoxetine be tried instead of Venlor XR?

Query: Hello doctor, I tried Venlor XR 75 mg during the night and got very poor result for put me to sleep. I tried to take it only in the morning and that too resulted in me being very sleepy. Can I try Fluoxetine? Or any other alternative medicines like ayurveda? Can I take St.John's wort or 5-HTP? I wou...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like you to continue Venlor XR (Venlafaxine) 75 mg at night, as there is response to this medication in terms of improved depressive symptoms. It was advised to increase the dose by taking 37.5 mg in morning and 75 mg at night. However, you continue taking Venl...  Read Full »