Q. Can Fluoxetine be tried instead of Venlor XR?

Dr. Bharat Udey
Published on Mar 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

I tried Venlor XR 75 mg during the night and got very poor result for put me to sleep. I tried to take it only in the morning and that too resulted in me being very sleepy. Can I try Fluoxetine? Or any other alternative medicines like ayurveda? Can I take St.John's wort or 5-HTP? I would also like to know can Tofisopam be tried? If so, in what dosage do I need to take them? Can any combination among these provide good sleep only during nights and keep one fresh and active in the morning? Please guide.

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

• I would like you to continue Venlor XR (Venlafaxine) 75 mg at night, as there is response to this medication in terms of improved depressive symptoms.
  • It was advised to increase the dose by taking 37.5 mg in morning and 75 mg at night. However, you continue taking Venlor XR 75 mg at night.
  • For excessive daytime sleepiness we can start with a stimulant in daytime.
  • We can add Armod (Armodafinil) 50 mg in daytime. It is a stimulant drug, which helps in improving the reticular activation system of our body, which in turn increases arousal and reduces excessive daytime sleepiness.
  • Before switching to Fluoxetine, this measure can be tried. If you want to start Fluoxetine, it can be started at dose of 20 mg a day in the morning after meals.

Rather opting for ayurveda measures or opting for St John's wart or 5HTP; you can add the following supportive measures.

1. Bright light therapy - Exposure to bright light for at least 20-30 minutes during daytime will help in improving arousal. Bright light therapy helps in boosting circadian rhythm, which is regulated by a hormone melatonin.
  2. Follow sleep hygiene measures.
  3. Weight reduction and regular workout will further help in improving the condition. Workout releases natural endorphins in our body, which have a mood elevating action.
  4. Tofisopam is a non-sedating Benzodiazepine, which have an anxiolytic action but does not cause sedation.
  • Yes, it can be tried if anxiety symptoms are not controlled. To begin with dose of 50 mg in morning after meals. Gradually increasing to 100 mg if required.
  • Currently, you can take Venlor XR 75 mg at night along with Armod 50 mg in morning, this combination will improve anxiety and depressive symptoms, improve sleep at night and will increase attentiveness and arousal during daytime.
  • If required low dose Thyroxine 12.5 mg (thyroid hormone congener) can also be added to this. If this combination does not show any improvement, then Fluoxetine can be tried.

For further information consult a sleep medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sleep-medicine-physician

Can having Fluoxetine with Venlafaxine lift depression?

Query: Hello doctor, Will having 20 mg Fluoxetine added to my existing 375 mg of Venlafaxine help to lift my depression? I had recurring depression since 17 and have been on Venlafaxine for 12 years.  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

How to get relief from nose block?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. Since two weeks, I am suffering with cold, especially nose blockage. As per doctor advice, I had Mucolite SR and Mondeslor daily night. He also advised me to take vaporizer and salt water gargling but I did not do that. I used Otrivine nasal drop for immediate relief. W...  Read Full »

Ask a Sleep Medicine Physician Now