Q. USG reports say there is unilateral mild ventriculomegaly. Is this normal?

Dr. Shubhadeep Bhattacharjee

We have done a sonography while during the sixth month of pregnancy. The report says that there is unilateral mild ventriculomegaly of 12 mm. Kindly suggest whether this is normal or if it can create any problem to the child?

#

• Mild ventriculomegaly is usually not detrimental. But, serial ultrasound monitoring of ventricular size should be done. Any increase in size should be dealt with accordingly.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist onlline --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have attached the file. Please suggest whether I should go for tests like karyotype, TORCH, and fetal MRI. What are the chances for the child to be normal?

#

• Yes, it is better to do these tests. Also, go for a level-2 anomaly scan, to rule out any other anomalies.
  • Isolated ventriculomegaly is unlikely to be pathogenic.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|