Q. Is surgery necessary for bilateral moderate fetal hydronephrosis after delivery?

Dr. Krishna Somani

This query is about my 19 weeks pregnant sister-in-law. She had a USG today and found bilateral moderate fetal hydronephrosis. Her gynecologist told her that the kid will require surgery after delivery. Can you please check the report and explain the situation? Is surgery required? If so, what is the outlook of surgery? Can this be life threatening for the kid after birth?

#

No, it is not life threatning. It has to be serially monitored every 15 days. Any intervention is usually successful after birth only and exact nature of urine obstruction also becomes clear after birth only.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Does it have to be serially monitored prenatally or after birth? Is there a chance of it getting corrected on its own?

#

No, it does not get corrected on its own. This needs urologic intervention monitor serially prenatally.

|