Q. Is surgery necessary for bilateral moderate fetal hydronephrosis after delivery?

Dr. Krishna Somani
Published on Apr 03, 2018

This query is about my 19 weeks pregnant sister-in-law. She had a USG today and found bilateral moderate fetal hydronephrosis. Her gynecologist told her that the kid will require surgery after delivery. Can you please check the report and explain the situation? Is surgery required? If so, what is the outlook of surgery? Can this be life threatening for the kid after birth?

#

No, it is not life threatning. It has to be serially monitored every 15 days. Any intervention is usually successful after birth only and exact nature of urine obstruction also becomes clear after birth only.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

| 

Does it have to be serially monitored prenatally or after birth? Is there a chance of it getting corrected on its own?

#

No, it does not get corrected on its own. This needs urologic intervention monitor serially prenatally.

| 

What do the orange spots on my fetal ultrasound scan mean?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a fimbrial ectopic pregnancy in my left tube. I received my internal ultrasound pictures but do not know how to read them. I am wondering what the orange spots are meaning on my ultrasound and where the fetus would be? I was told it was about 2 cm.  Read Full »

I need a treatment plan for hydronephrotic kidney with PUJ obstruction.

Query: Hello doctor,My mother has a hydronephrotic kidney with PUJ obstruction. She also has a history of recurrent and severe UTI. I need an expert advice and treatment plan.  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now