Q. Does absence of fetal heartbeat on ultrasound confirm abortion?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
Published on Jan 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife is six weeks and five days pregnant. In the fourth week, she got pain in the stomach and back. So, there were two ultrasound reports. The first was taken in five weeks and six days where the gestational sac was 2.33 cm with no heartbeats found.

The second ultrasound was six weeks and five days. In this ultrasound, the doctor said there was no heartbeat. He said for abortion. What should I do? Shall I send you the ultrasound reports? Please help.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

This looks mostly look like a missed abortion.

Usually by six weeks or later, the heartbeat appears on the scan provided.

You seem to have regular periods.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I am sending you two ultrasound reports. The first was taken in five weeks and six days and the second ultrasound was taken in six weeks and five days. Please see these reports and tell me your suggestion.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

These scans (attachment removed to protect patient identity) will not help much because the fetal heart is a dynamic activity that is visualized at the time of the scan.

If your periods were perfectly regular prior to conception then this possibly is a missed abortion.

If you still want to wait, you can check your platelets and coagulation profile blood test weekly and wait for spontaneous bleeding which will happen on its own some day or the other.

If you are not willing to wait, you can take a medication for aborting as this will not continue to be a viable pregnancy.

In the first ultrasound scan, the heart rate shows 173 BPM and CRL 45 mm and GS at 2.45 mm. It shows the heartbeat. But, in the second ultrasound report, there is none. Periods have been in two months.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I just saw that mentioned in the scan but you told your gynecologist said there was no heartbeat.

I would suggest you go for a repeat scan to confirm the finding of the fetal heartbeat rather than going for the abortion.

Just make it a point to mention this to your radiologist.

If the heartbeat is present then it is a viable pregnancy.

There is no yolk sac and fetal pole in gestational sac. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am six weeks and six days pregnant. My urine test is positive and beta hCG is also increasing but I am very upset about my ultrasound report. There is gestational sac in my uterus but from last week there is no yolk sac and fetal pole. I have a dark brownish discharge from six days wit...  Read Full »

Fetal ultrasound failed to detect heartbeat. Has the child been aborted?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's last period date was two months ago. After one month, we came to know through blood tests that she is pregnant. She had her first ultrasound 10 days ago and the baby is fine at five weeks and five days with a heartbeat of 114. But for the last three to four days, she saw som...  Read Full »

I have a thick endometrium and no gestational sac. Can I be pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I took a home pregnancy test 44 days after my last LMP. I underwent my pelvic scan today and it says I have no gestational sac and have a thick endometrium. I have very mild bleeding for the past two days and slight press on my right lower abdomen. My doctor has suggest...  Read Full »