Q. My mother is bleeding continuously after vestibuloplasty. Kindly suggest a solution to stop bleeding. .

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

My 61 years old mother underwent vestibuloplasty for lower jaws. Since she arrived, it seems to be bleeding. I know blood and saliva mixed together will seem like bleeding than it actually is. We live in an isolated area. And reaching a doctor was not possible. Could you please let us know what to do to clot the blood for now?

#

I understand your situation. Bleeding after vestibuloplasty or any oral surgical procedure is normal for the next two hours. There are certain instructions you can follow at home to stop bleeding.

1. Apply pressure to the surgical site. Place a thick cotton or gauze pad (probably from the first aid kit of your car) and ask your mother to bite it with pressure for the next 45 minutes.

2. Swallowing saliva. It will be difficult to swallow saliva with the blood taste. Saliva helps faster clotting. Avoid spitting which will increase bleeding and delay clotting.

3. Avoid disturbing the area frequently (to check for clotting). Leave it undisturbed. If the surgical area is disturbed after the clot formation, bleeding will start again.

4. Ask her not to disturb that area with the tongue.

5. Take some ice cubes in a ziplock. Wrap a clean cloth/ tissue over it. Give periodical and very gentle cold compress extra orally (not directly to the surgical site) after 45 minutes of gauze biting.

You should seek emergency care if the bleeding is profuse even after three hours. Whereas, very mild bleeding is absolutely normal for today. And place an extra towel over the pillow before laying on the bed, which prevents pillow staining.

|