Q. Could stress cause post-hysterectomy bleeding?

Dr. Abiodun A
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2020

Five weeks ago, I had a hysterectomy along with uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes. I am experiencing light pink to red vaginal bleeding after dealing with high stress at work. I just had my second follow up with my doctor. She said that my stitches are intact and everything appears normal. I have been working from home, but have an extremely high stress in career. Could stress be the cause for my bleeding? My hysterectomy was due to excessive bleeding, which they attributed to fibroids. Can this high stress career actually continue to make me bleed? I also have cramping, which is very similar to the cramps I had during regular menstruation. My doctor also had no explanation about the bleeding. Please help me. Thank you in advance for your time.

#

• Post-hysterectomy bleeding could be as a result of infection or breakdown of the vault following sexual activity.
  • Also, it could be a normal occurrence from the wound site in which stressful activity brings about the pain and bleeding as you are experiencing.
  • My advice is to reduce the stress for some months to allow proper healing. Do not engage in rough vaginal sex and do not insert your hand into the vaginal opening as this may introduce more infection.
  • Please make sure that the histology report of your specimen ensures that there is no cancer.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|