Q. A 5-year-old boy has intermittent fever, cough, and blocked nose. What could be the reason?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Nov 20, 2019

A 5-year-old boy has intermittent fever, muscle pain, cough, and blocked nose for the past four days. The temperature is shooting up during nights and is normal during the day time.

The blood test results are:

CPK 23056 U/L.

SGOT 513 U/L.

Leptospira IgM and dengue IgM tests in progress.

Please advice.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The reports and history are suggestive of some viral etiology probably, however, it is advisable to do a blood culture also to rule out bacterial etiology. In the meantime, I would advise starting Ceftriaxone to be on the safer side along with proper iv (intravenous) fluid management. Other symptomatic management like nebulization and antipyretic medications to be given as per the symptoms.

To trace blood culture, dengue and leptospira results and act accordingly. If symptoms worsen or do not resolve in the next five to seven days, detailed investigations in favor of Duchenne muscular dystrophy should be carried out.

I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Is this pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Also getting a mild fever again and again. I also have a chest X-ray done today only. Please suggest is it pneumonia and if yes how severe is it?  Read Full »

My father has viral fever associated with delirium. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 57 years old. He is having 102.3 fever and also some confusion and disorientation. The physician he consulted did blood work and concluded it to be viral but the delirium started after the consultation. Getting worried. I can send the blood reports across. Please help.  Read Full »

What can be done for blocked nose due to allergy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a blocked nose. I have consulted a doctor and he told I am suffering from allergy and it is incurable. I am worried. Please guide me.  Read Full »