Q. Kindly advise treatment for blocked nose due to allergy.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
Published on Jan 09, 2019

I am suffering from a blocked nose. I have consulted a doctor and he told I am suffering from allergy and it is incurable. I am worried. Please guide me.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

I have gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concern.

A blocked nose can be from an infection of upper respiratory tract also. If you have a fever and throat pain along with the blocked nose, then it is due to some infection. Allergy also causes blocked nose, sneezing, running nose, dry cough, etc. And yes, allergy is incurable. There is no permanent treatment for allergy as such, but it can be controlled with drugs and other measures.

To control allergy, you should avoid allergens like dust, pollen, specific allergy-causing food, and grasses. Avoid exposure to cold climate and cold beverages. For nasal blockage, you can use some antihistaminic decongestant nasal drops as Nasivion nasal drops. You can also take some oral antiallergic drug like tablet Montek-LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) twice daily for ten days if your doctor has not prescribed you an antiallergic medication.

Why does running nose, sneezing and blocked nose happen?

Query: Hi doctor, I have bad running nose, sneezing and blocked nose in the morning for the last ten days. I have taken Augmentin 375 for five days. It improved a bit but again relapsed today. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. Running nose can be due to upper respiratory tract infection. You can take tablet Allegra M (combination of Montelukast and Fexofenadine) twice daily for about three days. Warm water gargles with salt...  Read Full

I had an allergy blood test and my specific allergy numbers range from 0 to 0.75 kU/L. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got results back from an allergy blood test. My specific allergy numbers ranged from 0 to 0.75 kU/L. My total IgE is 241 IU/mL. Does this total number indicate anything? Is the number high or low?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me help you. The IgE value is within normal limits. Moreover, the total serum IgE values are not very indicative, rather specific IgE levels are important. Specific IgE levels should be inferred in relation to the particular allergen. Each allergen level may be d...  Read Full

Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Query: Hello, I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose. I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I totally understand your concern regarding cure of allergies. Unfortunately, allergy of the nose cannot be totally cured, but definitely can be prevented. I would recommend the following:1. Get an allergy skin test done; so as to identify the allergen.  Avoiding the a...  Read Full