Q. Can we use Tramadol and Acetaminophen for viral fever?

Published on Nov 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

My brother, who is 27 years old, is having viral fever and the temperature was 103 degrees Fahrenheit since yesterday night. He has been complaining of slight fever for the past five days. We had blood tests and the urine test done yesterday and both were normal. We are using the following tablets now. Calpol 650 mg and Amoxicillin-Potassium Clavulanate. He has cough with some wheezing and the doctor said it is chest infection and so keep using the tablets. Please suggest any alternative medicine. Can we use Acetaminophen and Tramadol combination here?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

• There is no role of Tramadol and Acetaminophen in treating fever. This may help just in body pain if associated.
  • I suppose that he should continue with Paracetamol 650 mg 6 to 8 hourly along with Amoxicillin for fever.
  • For chest congestion and cough, you can add up a combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

The fever has reduced today morning, but he has had vomiting sensation since morning. Please advise.

#

• Tramadol would cause vomiting sensation and it would persist till its level in blood vanishes. So, stop Tramadol.
  • I suggest a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone for relief.

The fever has reduced, but he is coughing very hard. He is saying that there is some mucus in his lower throat and his neck muscles are paining. In the morning we have given him Cefpodoxime Proxetil and Dolo 650 and at night Montelukast and Levocetirizine tablet. Can we change the antibiotic? Can we use Moxifloxacin? Please suggest.

#

• There is no need to change the antibiotics if the fever has responded. The cough associated with viral fever takes time to improve.
  • You can discuss with your doctor about adding up a bronchodilator syrup like Asthakind expectorant (Bromhexine, Guaifenesin and Terbutaline) for relief from cough along with these ongoing medicines.

Suffering from cold, chest congestion and sore throat. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old male who is overweight. Other than being overweight, I am in relatively good health.  I am getting regular health checkup for every six months. Currently, I am taking Triamterene and HCTZ and Simvastatin 20 mg. Recently, I had cold, some respiratory discomfort, c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your message. The symptoms of the query are quite suggestive of a possible upper respiratory tract infection. I would suggest you to get an x-ray paranasal (PNS) waters' view and x-ray chest PA (posteroanterior) view. Also, get a complete blood count (CBC). Me...  Read Full

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are taking Amoxicillin for your toothache, then let me educate you it is an antibiotic and not a painkiller. So, if you want to kill the pain, I suggest taking a tablet with acombination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol after meals. The pain will be gone in just 1...  Read Full

My son often coughs at 3 AM. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 8 years old. He has dry cough from last three weeks. The doctor prescribed him one week of Erythromycin, followed by one week of Azithromycin. But he still has no relief. The cough increases in the early morning at about 3 AM. Please advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is no fever or nasal discharge, then he might be asthmatic. In which case, he will need a bronchodilator and inhaled anti-inflammatory agents.The type of medicine depends on the frequency and severity of the cough, as well as episodes of night cough. His weigh...  Read Full