Q. From 12 days, my father has fever, cough, joint pain, and elevated liver enzymes. What to do?

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2021

My father is a 57-year-old male. For the past 12 days, he is suffering from high fever, cough, joint pain, fatigue, loss of appetite, and low platelet count. We tested him for viral, dengue, and typhoid fever. But all came out negative. Then our doctor recommended LFT (liver function test) and CBC, and the results were shocking. His SGOT is 123 units per liter of serum, SGPT is 194 units per liter of blood serum, alkaline phosphatase is 178 IU/L. These are incredibly high. His hemoglobin was 10.9 g/dL, neutrophils 75%, lymphocyte 18%, and platelets between 41000 to 105000 per microlitre of blood. Today we got him tested for COVID-19, results will be coming tomorrow. We all are scared too much because nobody is accepting him for any treatment. Please suggest what I should do. He also has a hydrocele problem, He was operated on once, 10 years back, and now after 10 years, it is emerging again. Please suggest something.

#

Do not worry. Any viral fever or hepatotoxic drugs may lead to elevation of liver enzymes. In few patients, it may be due to alcohol-induced liver injury or non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, etc.

So until a proper examination is done, it is difficult to say what it is. But the present situation is like viral fever with lower respiratory tract infection.

I suggest you with:

• Tablet Paracetamol 650 mg thrice a day for five days.

1) Use water vapor inhalation thrice a day for five days.

2) Avoid cool drinks and ice creams.

3) Give him warm water to drink.

4) Get chest X-ray done and post the report along with COVID-19 RT-PCR (reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction) report.

Please review with reports or consult with your physician; he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Take care.

|