Q. My mother is 60 years old and could not see anything in right eye. Why?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

My Mother is 60 years old. One month before she was not able to see anything in the evening from right eye so she washed it with water and pour some eye drop into the right eye. She felt burning sensation too. Next morning she was not able to see anything clearly the vision is blurred. Upon checking with eye specialist, the doctor told that there is a rupture inside the retina which cannot be cleaned from outside and the veins connected to this is drying too fast. Ten years back she fell on the floor unconsciously and the doctor told it as hemorrhage. Please suggest.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

This sudden painless loss of vision prompts the possibility of central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO). The thing that has happened here is a vein carrying blood to the retina is blocked and it got burst releasing blood inside as well as outside retina which leads to blurring of vision. Now as per the investigation the disease has progressed to an advanced stage.

Here is what we can do:

Fluorescein angiography of the eye to identify all culprit areas.

By a laser, we will have to burn those areas which are causing the problem.

We have to inject some anti-VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor) inside her eye so that swelling comes down.

But if blood is too much we have to go for surgery.

Consult the retina specialist in your town. For the time being start her on Timolol eye drop twice daily. Put two to three pillows and tell her to rest on it (i.e) propped up position.

Hypertension.

fundus fluorescein angiography, OCT (optic coherence tomography).

Diabetic vitreous hemorrhage.

CRVO.

Spikes in blood pressure to be avoided.
Kindly also visit a cardiologist.

|