Q. Is diabetic retinopathy treatable?

Dr. Bandivadekar Pooja Mohan
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 24, 2022

I am a 52-year-old woman with diabetes, hypertension, and thyroid problem. I am having a problem with my left eye vision, and the doctors say it is severe NPDR. They say that it is not curable or treatable. Do I have a chance of treating this problem? I do not have my sugar levels under control. What is the course of action? I have attached all my reports for your better understanding.

Thanks.

#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You seem to have exudative maculopathy along with the said NPDR (non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy). There is no macular edema, but only deposits in the seeing portion of your eye. The prognosis is usually guarded. However, it will be ideal to supplement it with an FFA (fundus fluorescein angiography) to delineate the blood supply or paucity of it.

The macular also shows thinning, and unfortunately, there are no medications to restore its vitality. Oral supplementation of antioxidants is indicated. Also, kindly perform checkups regularly. Progression to PDR (proliferative diabetic retinopathy) has to be noted and treated in all instances.

|