Vitamin Deficiency

Long-term vitamin deficiency causes avitaminosis or hypovitaminosis. If the deficiency is caused due to inadequate nutritional intake, then it is called primary deficiency, and if it is due to an underlying health condition like malabsorption, then it is called secondary deficiency. Vitamin D is the most common vitamin deficiency.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can you please help get rid of the multiplying canker sores?

Query: Hello doctor, What can I do for canker sores that keep multiplying and have been there for about two weeks?  Read Full »

Dr. Asma Parveen

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Canker sores can be due to a number of reasons like vitamin deficiency, bacterial or viral infection, gastritis, etc. Since it has been there for two weeks now, it could be due to a vitamin deficiency. So, I suggest tou taking Vitamin B complex with Zinc capsules for ...  Read Full »

Why do my blood reports show an elevated SGOT, SGPT, and low vitamin D and phosphorous levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 years old male. My BP is 130/85. I am taking Calaptin SR 120 mg twice a day for idiopathic RVOT, NSVT which has been controlled by RF ablation procedure and under this continuous medication to control further ectopic beats. Under the continuous care of my cardiologist, this s...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your post and the investigations you have posted (attachment removed tp protect the patients identity). You have deranged fasting blood glucose which is 102 mg/dl which is in the pre-diabetic range. Your vitamin D level is very low. You will need a rep...  Read Full »

Does the use of a prepared mixture stored in a plastic bottle cause bacterial or viral infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I drank this prepared mixture a year ago (coffee, tea, sugar, tulsi, Indian spices, and water. I heat it more than eight times a week). After two to three months, I suffered from a viral infection, and l was admitted to the hospital. I asked my doctor if it was due to this preparation the...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hello,Welcome to understand your concern. It is not due to that preparation but due to the infection and vitamin deficiencies; such symptoms can be seen.So I suggest you stop drinking that mixture and consume more fruits and green vegetables. Drink juice at least once a day.Take a tabl...  Read Full »

Are dizziness and headaches symptoms of low sugar in me?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old female. My weight is 45 kg and my height is 157 cm. I feel like I have low pressure and low sugar. My symptoms are headaches and light dizziness, feeling very tense, light hand shake, lack of balance, slightly unclear vision. But, when I eat sugars or salts, I feel b...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your post. Your problem is, you are not taking proper food, what is known as a balanced diet. That has caused malnutrition which is evident from your BMI of 18. A balanced diet should have carbohydrates, fats as well as protein in an appropriate amount....  Read Full »

What is the reason for persistent bad odor in my mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old woman. I am married for two years, and I do not have a child or any gynecology problem. I have digestion problem for the past one year. My main symptom was a bad smell from the mouth, especially in the morning, weakness, and sometimes mild fever. I do have not any ...  Read Full »

Dr. J. N. Naidu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Do not worry much about the smell of the mouth. It may be due to anemia i.e low hemoglobin concentration. You must appreciate that hemoglobin formation needs iron and proteins mainly. You only mentioned iron supplement. What is its composition? If it contains iron, vita...  Read Full »

Are vitamin supplements worth taking?

Query: Hi doctor,I try to take vitamin tablets every day but was shocked to find online that vitamin tablets have no proven benefits and may even be harmful. Are vitamin supplements worth taking? Is this true that they might be harmful, or am I reading into this too much? I would love to know the truth abo...  Read Full »

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Vitamin tablets taken for some time and in controlled amounts are helpful, especially in people who are always deficient in vitamins due to their diet. But, if you take excess vitamins thinking that they will work more in your body or work faster with a higher do...  Read Full »

I always feel weak, exhausted, dehydrated, and I am sensitive to heat. What is the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25-years-old, and I weigh 80 kgs. I am physically weak, exhausted, cannot sit-stand or walk for a long time. I am sensitive to heat and feel dehydrated, and I have frequently had muscle stiffness and cramps for two years. It started from pain and inflammation near the occipital an...  Read Full »

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Physical weakness and fatigue can be due to vitamin deficiencies, anxiety, and stress disorders. It can also be due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, and hypertension. For vitamin deficie...  Read Full »

What can be the cause of my excruciating headache?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having headaches for the last two weeks. It does not feel like a migraine. The ache starts at the back of my head when I move or bow forward and is excruciating. When I try to open my jaw it gives me a very strong pain at the back of my head. I have had no history of heada...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern, As you have described, such type of a headache can be associated with severe deficiencies of vitamin B12, iron, or low haemoglobin. It indicates weakness. First of all, I suggest you get a blood CBC (complete blood count) test. We can manag...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for horizontal lines on my daughter's nails?

Query: Hello doctor, My two year old daughter is generally healthy. But, today I noticed some horizontal lines on her toenails. I am sending a picture of the same. Could it be a serious problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and understand your concern. Horizontal lines on the nails could be commonly due to a vitamin deficiency or a fungal infection of the nail. Try to give your child a nutritious diet. You can s...  Read Full »

Do Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 deficiency cause fatigue?

Query: Hi doctor, I suffer from hypothyroidism for the past 10 years. Currently I am on a dose of 125 mcg Thyroxine. My recent blood test shows lower than normal TSH Value. I have enclosed the report. Please suggest treatment and dosage change if required. Also, my Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 levels are low...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to From the attached reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it appears you are taking an overdose for hypothyroidism, and you need to decrease the dose slightly to correct it. I would suggest the following, 1) Tablet Levothyroxine 125 mcg six t...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.