Q. After tonsillectomy, my voice is high-pitched and I am made fun of it. Kindly help.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I am 20-years-old. I underwent tonsil surgery at 7 years of age, and after that, my voice was normal until the age of 15. After that, I started having trouble talking, and every morning cold is accumulated in my throat, loss of voice most of the time, which is annoying, and till now, I cannot have cold drinks. Once I drink cold water or anything cold, I start to lose my voice. My voice is high-pitched, and I am always made fun of for my voice.

Kindly help.

#

You have a condition known as puberphonia. There could be an underlying structural problem with vocal cords that might be causing this high-pitched voice. On the other hand, even though the vocal cords are anatomically and physiologically normal, the voice may still be abnormal as one ages puberty to adulthood. So, this would require the help of a speech therapist.

I suggest you get a laryngoscopy done to confirm the integrity of structure and functioning of vocal cords and rule out any underlying lesion.

Thanks.

Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely have largynscopy and consult a speech therapist as soon as possible.

Thanks.

#

Yes, kindly do it.

Thanks.

|