Voice Abuse

How to treat teacher's nodules?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from teacher's nodules. It is on and off for the past eight months. I took some medication, which was prescribed by my doctor. Whenever I keep mum, my voice is improved. But, I cannot stop speaking loud due to my profession. I really want to get rid of them as I feel heavy,...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can very well understand your problem. Teacher's nodules (vocal cord nodules) occur in teachers, singers and children due to vocal trauma. Voice rest is the foremost recommended treatment for such nodule. I know due to your profession you cannot do this. But, try to giv...  Read Full »

My wife is very abusive, and she does not like my parents and sister. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is very abusive and says the wrong things sometimes. Her mood goes off, and she remains like that for 2 to 3 days. After which, I have to make a lot of efforts by saying sorry so many times, and then she would become normal. During such a period, she will not talk or talk only...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Use of abusive language, suspiciousness, mood swings lasting for days, excessive irritability, and anger cannot be considered normal, and there is a need to have couple counseling. If she responds well to other people other ...  Read Full »

My father's ENT found a small lesion at his vocal fold. Is this something serious?

Query: Hi doctor, This is regarding the health of my 57 year old father. He is a non-smoker, vegetarian, and a non-drinker. He had a complaint of a low voice since the last 10 days. Yesterday, he had to visit an ENT for a check up. They did a video laryngoscopy and found a small lesion at the vocal ju...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is a vocal nodule that is common in those who are involved in teaching or singing. The initial treatment plan will be a trial of drugs for one or two weeks and if it is decreased, then it i...  Read Full »

I am a singer.I have sore throat and unable to sing or even speak normally.Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old male and I have been suffering from sore throat for 2 and a half months now. It all started in late December. I am a singer, and I came down with a very light cold. Due to the weather, I had a light sore throat. During this time, I had to sing and speak loudly with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. You are a singer and that signifies the history of voice abuse which might be the cause. Due to voice abuse, vocal cords get fatigue and swollen which result in hoarseness of voice. All you need is a voice rest. Avoid talking as much as poss...  Read Full »

My husband is abusive and addicted to alcohol. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been married for eight years, it was a love marriage, and things were fine initially. Three years back, my husband left his job to pursue his passion for becoming an entrepreneur, and I supported him in whichever way I could, both mentally and financially. But, things did not go a...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I am totally against any form of abuse, so do not endorse any idea of suffering with your current husband. There is a definite need to seek advice if things are not working despite making compromises at ...  Read Full »

Having some kind of throat congestion. Please give some solution.

Query: Hi doctor, Actually, my problem does not seem to be a serious one, but as of now it has become really annoying for me. Basically, I am giving some singing auditions. But, the problem is continuously for a period of some past eight to nine months I am having some kind of my congestion in my throat, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasheed Baig

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are facing this problem because you are putting strain on your sound box and vocal cords. You need to take a break. Give rest to your sound box for 10 to 14 days. Take plenty of water. Do steam inhalation twice a day. Also, I suggest you use some anti-inflammatory med...  Read Full »

How to cure vocal folds swelling?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from vocal folds swelling. I feel my voice is too low. Local ENT specialist advised me to take steam through mouth. Please help me out.  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vocal cord swelling may be due to various causes like respiratory tract infection, gastric reflux, voice abuse, etc. So, first thing you need to do is absolute voice rest for couple of days and maintaining proper voice hygiene. Except that to minimize reflux, avoid spicy ...  Read Full »