Common "Voice Abuse" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Voice Abuse

Voice abuse occurs due to activities that cause strain to the vocal cords. The activities that result in voice abuse include screaming, throat clearing, inhaling irritants, smoking, and excess coughing. It can lead to symptoms such as throat pain, hoarseness of voice, vocal cord polyps, and laryngitis. Avoiding activities causing it and practicing breathing techniques can help prevent vocal cord abuse.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My wife is experiencing mood swings. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is very abusive and says the wrong things sometimes. Her mood goes off, and she remains like that for two to three days. After which, I have to make a lot of effort by saying sorry so many times, and then she would become normal. During such a period, she will not talk or talk...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concerns. Use of abusive language, suspiciousness, mood swings lasting for days, excessive irritability, and anger cannot be considered normal, and there is a need to have couple counseling. If she responds well to other peopl...  Read Full »

My father has a vocal lesion. Is surgery required?

Query: Hi doctor, This is regarding the health of my 57 year old father. He is a non-smoker, vegetarian, and a non-drinker. He had a complaint of a low voice since the last 10 days. Yesterday, he had to visit an ENT for a check up. They did a video laryngoscopy and found a small lesion at the vocal ju...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is a vocal nodule that is common in those who are involved in teaching or singing. The initial treatment plan will be a trial of drugs for one or two weeks and if it is decreased, then it i...  Read Full »

How to restore lost voice and throat pain due to screaming?

Query: Hello doctor, It hurts to talk because I had screamed and lost my voice. I screamed again the next day before my voice was back and that is when it hurt. My doctor said I had laryngitis but that was like a month ago. He gave me some antibiotics to take and keep quiet for 10 days which I did. I stil...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to When you had screamed some micro bleeding and abrasion of vocal cords would have occurred. The same would have caused you pain and loss of voice temporarily. The doctor would have tested laryngitis. Now you are possibly suffering from mild inflammation and edema of the...  Read Full »

How does tonsillectomy affect adult voice?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20-years-old. I underwent tonsil surgery at 7 years of age, and after that, my voice was normal until the age of 15. After that, I started having trouble talking, and every morning cold is accumulated in my throat, loss of voice most of the time, which is annoying, and till now, I...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Peerzada Tehmid Ul Haque

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You have a condition known as puberphonia. There could be an underlying structural problem with vocal cords that might be causing this high-pitched voice. On the other hand, even though the vocal cords are anatomically and physiologically normal, the voice may still be...  Read Full »

How to treat teacher's nodules?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from teacher's nodules. It is on and off for the past eight months. I took some medication, which was prescribed by my doctor. Whenever I keep mum, my voice is improved. But, I cannot stop speaking loud due to my profession. I really want to get rid of them as I feel heavy,...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can very well understand your problem. Teacher's nodules (vocal cord nodules) occur in teachers, singers and children due to vocal trauma. Voice rest is the foremost recommended treatment for such nodule. I know due to your profession you cannot do this. But, try to gi...  Read Full »

How to bring a person out of abusive behavior and alcohol addiction?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been married for eight years, it was a love marriage, and things were fine initially. Three years back, my husband left his job to pursue his passion for becoming an entrepreneur, and I supported him in whichever way I could, both mentally and financially. But, things did not go as ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I am totally against any form of abuse, so do not endorse any idea of suffering with your current husband. There is a definite need to seek advice if things are not working despite making compromises on ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for sore throat and difficulty in speaking for the past two and half months?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old male and I have been suffering from sore throat for 2 and a half months now. It all started in late December. I am a singer, and I came down with a very light cold. Due to the weather, I had a light sore throat. During this time, I had to sing and speak loudly with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern. You are a singer and that signifies the history of voice abuse which might be the cause. Due to voice abuse, vocal cords get fatigue and swollen which result in hoarseness of voice. All you need is a voice rest. Avoid talking ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.