Q. I lost my voice due to screaming and it hurts while talking. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2020

It hurts to talk because I had screamed and lost my voice. I screamed again the next day before my voice was back and that is when it hurt. My doctor said I had laryngitis but that was like a month ago. He gave me some antibiotics to take and keep quiet for 10 days which I did. I still cannot talk fully. I do not have hoarse, my normal speaking is clear but I cannot talk louder or in higher pitches. It kind of feels like there is a lump in my throat.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

When you had screamed some micro bleeding and abrasion of vocal cords would have occurred. The same would have caused you pain and loss of voice temporarily. The doctor would have tested laryngitis. Now you are possibly suffering from mild inflammation and edema of the region due to the said trauma. The same makes you feel that there is a lump in the throat. You need some supportive treatment for another few weeks.

I would suggest you take a proton-pump inhibitors medicine like Rabeprazole 20 mg or Pantoprazole 40 mg twice daily in empty stomach for 15 days. You also would have to take anti-inflammatory medicines like Trypsin-Chymotrypsin Rutopside combination in an empty stomach twice daily for a week and then once daily for next week. You should take antacid syrup like Mucaine gel one teaspoon after each meal. You are advised to avoid masala, curries, spicy food, alcohol and smoke until you are better. This way we help the tissues heal properly and vibrate normally.

Do revert back if you need any further support or clarification.

| 

I have throat pain, but there is no actual swelling. How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female. My symptoms are as follows: Intense throat pain while swallowing saliva. The pain radiates to the ear and sometimes, head and gives me a headache. Dry throat, especially in the area of pain. I also have a feeling of swelling in the throat, but the doctor said th...  Read Full »

Why does my throat hurt after singing?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a new singer. Last week, I sang a lengthy song without warm up. In the evening, I had severe throat pain. I gave voice rest, but still I have some sensitivity in my throat. I feel quite tired always. Is this because of vocal strain? I also have tonsils. My throat feels uncomfortable...  Read Full »

Having some kind of throat congestion. Please give some solution.

Query: Hi doctor, Actually, my problem does not seem to be a serious one, but as of now it has become really annoying for me. Basically, I am giving some singing auditions. But, the problem is continuously for a period of some past eight to nine months I am having some kind of my congestion in my throat, ...  Read Full »