Q. Why does my dad vomit every time he eats?

Dr. Sandhya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I just want to ask the case of my father. He is 68 years old. Every time he eats, he vomits. It started yesterday. He has no fever. His weight is 64 kg. He does not want to eat because he is afraid he will vomit again. What medicine can I give him? He has cough.

Dr. Sandhya

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

According to the information you have provided, the vomiting he is experiencing presently could be either due to having food poisoning from anything unusual he had yesterday or since he is using Ellipta and Dilatair, they are medicines which would cause vomiting in case his mouth is not thoroughly washed.

As of now:

Firstly, you need to make sure if he has loose stools or bowel-related issues associated with vomiting.

After taking the medications, he needs to gargle well with warm saline and make sure he has had a very thorough mouth cleanse.

I suggest tablet Emeset (Ondansetron) 8 mg twice daily for five days, and Pantoprazole 40 mg twice daily for five days. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Since he might get dehydrated due to fluid loss from the body and also electrolyte loss, he needs to have lots of fluids and start ORS in sips.

You also need to make sure he eats well, as there is a high chance he would skip meals due to frequent vomiting. Try to provide him with more of soups, fresh juices, and yogurt. Cut down on hot beverages, spicy, or hot foods and food that is hard to digest.

Do not worry. Follow the above and he will be fine.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|