Q. Does vomiting cause bruising of eyelids?

Dr. Dada Peer K
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

My friend started vomiting last night and I noticed that his eyelids were red and bruised. Is there something else besides the vomiting that could have caused the bruised eyelids?

#

From the history provided, it seems that your friend is having red and bruised eyes following vomiting. This is probably because of rupture of very small blood vessels in the eyelids during vomiting.

This will not require any treatment and it will subside in one or two weeks, as the blood gets reabsorbed. Hence, you need not have to worry about this. Applying cold compression over the eyelids will provide symptomatic relief.

Attach a photo of the affected eye and consult an ophthalmologist online for appropriate treatment --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|