Q. I have burning sensation and pain in my vulva. Please help.

Dr. Senduran. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 23, 2021

I have a burning sensation and pain in my vulva. I checked with a mirror, and there is excess skin at the bottom, and it is painful when I touch it. I am just wondering what this could be. What can be done to stop this irritation?

#

Vulval pain (vulvodynia) or irritation is widespread. You need not be worried as it usually resolves with just proper hygienic precautions and minor treatment. This could be due to friction-induced skin infection or skin tag or other skin conditions like lichen sclerosis. But proper physical examination is needed to determine the actual diagnosis and suggest an appropriate treatment plan according to the etiology. However, I would advise you of the following suggestions for relief:

1. Avoid using gels and scented bathing products which may contain irritants.

2. Avoid wearing tight-fitting pants (consider wearing skirts and no underwear at home and during the night to avoid friction and aid drying).

3. Avoid washing undergarments with excess detergent. Rinsing your undergarments several times with water would be appropriate.

4. White cotton underwear is preferable.

5. Use emulsion-based creams to clean the vulva.

6. If you are obese, try to maintain optimum weight.

|