Q. Kindly look at my blood report and explain whether I need Warfarin.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Sep 28, 2019

I have attached my blood report, my doctor suggested me Warfarin sodium daily and a skin-tight sock and he said that may be I have to take it for a lifetime. What would you suggest? Please reply as soon as possible.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. It appears you have suffered from deep vein thrombosis. Due to this, your protein C and S values are low.

2. Once thrombosis has been seen, future risk of thrombus formation is present.

3. Yes, you will need to take Warfarin for life to prevent future risk of thrombus. Get evaluated with a maintenance INR of 2-3.

4. Stockings beneficial. Avoid immobility for long, especially surgeries or long travel.

5. Risk of bleeding more during injuries, and inform concerned doctor regarding surgeries about being on Warfarin therapy.

What are the chances of bleeding from a sudden blow if I am on blood thinners?

Query: Hello¬†doctor, I am on warfarin for life. Yesterday, while I was working in my house, I knocked the upper back part of my head on the marble roof of the window pane. It was neither a hard blow nor a soft one. It was medium. I did not feel any pain. I did not have any blackout but was stunned for two...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chirag Solanki
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would like to know the indication for which you were prescribed Warfarin. Secondly, 3.73 is a higher INR (international normalized ratio) than normally desired which usually is between 2 to 2.5 or 2.5 to 3 according to indications, in most of the cases. Now,...  Read Full

How common is it to develop a blood clot or PE with no underlying disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, How common is it to develop a blood clot or PE with no underlying clotting disorder, surgery, not on birth control, etc.? Like can a PE happen out of nowhere? Or is there always a culprit?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, there is always an underlying risk factor for the development of deep vein thrombosis. Advanced age, genetic conditions, smoking, obesity, trauma, surgery, etc., are some of the risk factors. The genetic disease includes protein C deficiency, protein S defic...  Read Full

What can cause blood under the skin in leg and ankle?

Query: Hi doctor, My father-in-law has blood under the skin on his leg and ankle. He has had a stroke in the past and is on blood thinners. He said it is not painful and he cannot recall any hit. There is some swelling in some black and blue. He is on cholesterol medicines too. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need to know what blood thinners are being used. Warfarin and other blood thinners like Aspirin, Clopidogrel act by inhibiting normal coagulation cascade in one way or the other, the effect of which is increased risk of bleeding. Minor nose bleed and bruising, major gas...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now