Q. Does HSV IgG positive mean we are infected with that virus?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 01, 2020

As my wife had a failed premature delivery, we both had given for chromosome test. The result showed positive for HSV IgG, rubella IgG and CMV IgG. We are very much bothered. Please tell us the reason for this. Does it mean that we are infected with that virus before? Please clarify.

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

I understand your concern.

• Your karyotyping were normal and it gives the meaning of no chromosomal abnormalities (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Coming to IgG positive test, when you contract a viral infection or after vaccination, the antibody produced is IgG. It indicates that you are either vaccinated or had an infection before.
  • This will be positive for your life time. If IgM would have been positive, then it indicates that you are having a recent infection.
  • I think you need not worry about those positive tests. Is there any history of such infections before?
  • I sincerely suggest you to take an opinion from your treating doctor. Since she can examine you directly with previous histories, you will be more convinced.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Have pregnant women given with any vaccination? Also, my wife was vaccinated for yellow fever and given some flu shots. She was given some antibiotics during her pregnancy when she had a severe stomach pain. Can any of these medicines and vaccines be the reason for this positive IgG?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• Yes, it is possible with the vaccine or previous infection. But, that should not affect her pregnancy or future conception and continuation of pregnancy. So, do not worry.

|