Q. My baby will be 6 months old in another 3 weeks time. I have never given her solid foods so far. Please advise.

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 12, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 17, 2018

My baby will be 6 months old in another three weeks time. I have never given her solid foods so far. I have to get back to my office after three weeks. My working time is from 10 AM to 5 PM. Please advise me on how to manage this situation.

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

You can start weaning (gradually reduce mother's milk and start giving solids). Start giving semisolid food after she is 6 months.

If you are breastfeeding your baby then, you can express breast milk and store it for rest of the day before you go to work. Breast milk can be stored for 24 hours in a refrigerator.

Regarding solid foods, homemade rice with dal water is a good food to start with. Start with the rice variant which is least allergic. Partially grind the cooked rice and make it easy for the baby to swallow.

Banana is another solid food which you can give during the evenings. Start with one banana a day and then make it twice a day.

Introduce one new food to your baby at a time with a gap of one week at least, so that you know which food your baby is able to digest easily and which she is allergic to.

You can continue with boiled potato, carrot, beetroot one by one.

Readymade preparations like cerelac, nestum or farex are also an alternative.

Consult a paediatrician online for further clarifications -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Article Overview: There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding, so here are some tips for the new mothers.  Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Lactation Counselor

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals. There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be in a confused state regarding breastfeeding. Here are some tips for the new mothers. When Should One St...  Read Article

Can taking Eptoin while breastfeeding affect the baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is taking Eptoin 100 thrice in a day. Just 13 days back she delivered a baby girl. Should I be worried about this when she is feeding the baby?  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article