Q. My baby will be 6 months old in another 3 weeks time. I have never given her solid foods so far. Please advise.

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 12, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 17, 2018

My baby will be 6 months old in another three weeks time. I have never given her solid foods so far. I have to get back to my office after three weeks. My working time is from 10 AM to 5 PM. Please advise me on how to manage this situation.

#

You can start weaning (gradually reduce mother's milk and start giving solids). Start giving semisolid food after she is 6 months.

If you are breastfeeding your baby then, you can express breast milk and store it for rest of the day before you go to work. Breast milk can be stored for 24 hours in a refrigerator.

Regarding solid foods, homemade rice with dal water is a good food to start with. Start with the rice variant which is least allergic. Partially grind the cooked rice and make it easy for the baby to swallow.

Banana is another solid food which you can give during the evenings. Start with one banana a day and then make it twice a day.

Introduce one new food to your baby at a time with a gap of one week at least, so that you know which food your baby is able to digest easily and which she is allergic to.

You can continue with boiled potato, carrot, beetroot one by one.

Readymade preparations like cerelac, nestum or farex are also an alternative.

Consult a paediatrician online for further clarifications -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|