Weaning

Why is my baby vomiting after eating solids?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is just five and a half months old and yesterday I started her on solids. Before that, she was exclusively on breast milk. I gave her a packaged wheat and apple baby food. Two hours after she ate it, she vomited everything out. So, the rest of the day I just gave her brea...  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At the age of five and a half months, a baby will sit only with support. Neck holding is attained only by three to six months. So, it is normal. About the feeding, the ideal time to switch to weaning foods is when the baby completes six months. Until then breast milk ...  Read Full »

How to start solids for baby if mother has to get back to work?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby will be 6 months old in another three weeks time. I have never given her solid foods so far. I have to get back to my office after three weeks. My working time is from 10 AM to 5 PM. Please advise me on how to manage this situation.  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can start weaning (gradually reduce mother's milk and start giving solids). Start giving semisolid food after she is 6 months. If you are breastfeeding your baby then, you can express breast milk and store it for rest of the day before you go to work. Breast milk c...  Read Full »

How can I make the child wean from breastfeeding to bottle feeding?

Query: Hello doctor, My 7-month-old baby does not want to feed on the bottle. I am currently breastfeeding and I want to feed her Enfamil. What can I do about it? She is not gaining weight. Her weight is consistent at 7.5 kg since she was 4 months old. But she is good. No illness. But my main complaint is...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Bottle feeding is not recommended to any child for long term. You can try spoon feeding. Yes, it will not be easy to shift from breastfeeding to top feed. Should try gradually. As per WHO, the baby should be continued on breastfeeding for a mi...  Read Full »

Which tablet to take to delay periods for vacation while still breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old. I am breastfeeding (not exclusively) my 9-month-old baby due to which I am having irregular periods almost every month. They get delayed for 10 to 15 days. Now, I am on vacation and really do not want my periods for at least 10 days to come as there will be a lot o...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In breastfeeding, serum prolactin increases. That helps in milk production. Even for increasing breast milk production, sometimes prolactin has been given. Prolactin depresses/reduces/disturbs the menstrual cycle. Before six months of age, breastfeeding mothers bett...  Read Full »

My 15 month old baby does not take anything except breastfeed. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 15 months old baby girl does not eat anything at all and does not take a bottle or sippy cup, only breastfeed. I have tried everything but all in vain. I am very much worried now because she is very weak.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a slow and painful process for weaning off milk. The best way is to keep trying. In some instances, you may withdraw the milk completely so that the child is made to feel that she will not get any milk now and only food. Try to find out which particular food t...  Read Full »

How can I make my little child eat well?

Query: Hello doctor,My 2-year-old boy does not eat food and does not drink milk. I am very worried. Can you kindly suggest me right treatment to solve this problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kids disliking food or milk is a very strange state. This usually it happens due to faulty weaning practices. I suggest the following: Check his weight. Is he losing weight? Weight loss needs to be evaluated with blood tests like haemoglobin. Worm infes...  Read Full »

Is Mymox used to stop lactation?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife wants to stop breastfeeding our ten months old daughter because our daughter is healthy and weighs 12 kg. We gave her store-bought milk so that she does not form a habit of sucking mother's milk. My wife's breast milk quantity is enough to satisfy our daughter's needs. But ou...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mymox (Amoxicillin) is an antibiotic and has nothing to do with lactation or milk production. Sudden weaning of baby may lead to both physical and emotional effects on both the mother and her baby. Gradual weaning is good. Medical suppression of lactation is not adv...  Read Full »

How long does it take for the uterine lining to thicken after weaning?

Query: Hi doctor, I exclusively breastfed for 17 months, while trying to conceive a handful of times. I believe that I conceived, but implantation failed. My gynecologist suggested to wean and then try, and maybe my uterine lining needed to be thickened. I weaned two months ago, and so far both cycles have...  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please get a scan done around the ovulation time, to rule out the exact cause. This will help us know where exactly things are going wrong. Get started with Folic acid supplements. Do get back to me with reports, so that I can guide you further. Revert with more informat...  Read Full »

Can you advise regarding food for a 6 months old?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 6 months old. I am a working mother and joining office soon. As a new mom, I am not sure about a healthy food and diet plan to be given to my baby at and after 6 months. Can you advise what all food can be given to a baby initially? Currently, she is having formula milk.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Weaning with homemade mashed food should be started after 6 months of age. You can give the child mashed potatoes and other kinds of mashed fruits for at least four times a day along with mashed biscuits or other mashed snacks twice a day and breast milk. Please note t...  Read Full »

My son is 17 months old. Shall I continue breastfeed?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 17 months old. I am a working mom. My son was on breastfeed till two days back. Of late, my son has stopped eating breakfast, because he sucks milk the whole night. For the past few days, he eats only two mouths of food in the afternoon and night. We tried everything like changi...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mother's milk should be continued till 2 years of age. So, the breast milk is supposed to be continued. However, along with breast milk homemade food is also supposed to be given for weaning purpose. Please try and find out what he likes at home and provide him that, so t...  Read Full »