Q. How water intake helps in weight loss?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Nov 12, 2019

What is the role of water intake in weight loss? Do dieters tend to overlook one of the easiest weight-loss techniques i.e. drinking enough water? What is the role of hydration in weight loss? Is taking eight glasses of water necessary and suggest a way to help the people to adopt smart strategies of sipping water throughout the day?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Hydration is important as the body is made of 60-70 % of water. Intracellular hydration is very important and it is often ignored. It can lead to cell death and takes longer recovery times in long term injuries of tendons and ligaments. Drink enough water to keep your kidney function and urine light amber color. If the urine is darker then it indicates dehydration. So, if you drink six glasses of water and your urine is light amber color it is normal. Even if you drink ten glasses of water and workout in the sun, and if your urine is dark, then you are dehydrated.

Why do we drink a protein shake after a workout and stretch before a run?

Query: Hi doctor, So often, we do things that we know to be healthy but are not aware of the reason. I am looking at the specific items such as drinking protein shakes after a workout, doing 10 to 12 repetitions in strength training, stretching before a run, avoiding food before a workout and eating the ra...  Read Full »

Why am I always hungry and thirsty?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost...  Read Full »

Why am I having an increase in alkaline phosphatase level?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 36 years old, male, 6'1", 265 lbs. I have a question about total bilirubin. I had it checked four weeks ago and it was at .41 mg/dl and one month later it jumped to .82 mg/dl. My alkaline phosphatase is at 1.173 ukat/l and four weeks ago was at 1.003 ukat/l. The doctor was not conc...  Read Full »

Ask a Dietician Now