Q. What can be done for painful bowel movement with weight loss?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 11, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I have been sick for a month, lost weight, cannot eat, no energy. Left side is killing me when I have bowel movement. Yesterday, it looked like spiders, I am serious. I have no energy to get out of bed. Can you help me, please?

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Internal Medicine
#

You mean you have noticed weight loss because you have lack of appetite. You cannot concentrate, you are feeling weak, cannot even get out of your bed. Your left side of body pains when you defecate, your abdomen pains. You have been having lose stool. If I got you right then you might have infectious diarrhea.

Gastroenteritis or infectious diarrhea is a medical condition characterized by inflammation and infection caused by bacteria specially. The key treatment is get enough fluids (for mild to moderate case). Typically oral rehydration solution is best. More serious cases need patients to be admitted and get IV fluids.

The other posibilty could be of celiac disease, but proper diagnosis need investigation and third reason could be giardiasis. Again stool culture can give us diagnosis. Listening to you it looks like you are feeling very much sick. I will advice you to go to hospital and get examined. In between keep yourself very well hydrated. And visit hospital as soon as possible.

| 

Why am I having an increase in alkaline phosphatase level?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 36 years old, male, 6'1", 265 lbs. I have a question about total bilirubin. I had it checked four weeks ago and it was at .41 mg/dl and one month later it jumped to .82 mg/dl. My alkaline phosphatase is at 1.173 ukat/l and four weeks ago was at 1.003 ukat/l. The doctor was not conc...  Read Full »

Can the lower abdomen pain be due to ovulation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two days, I am feeling a mild pain on my lower abdomen and having a feeling that my bowels are not getting cleared. I had my last period about two months back. My periods have become irregular since then. Last month, I got examined and was detected having a uterine fibroid...  Read Full »

My abdominal pain did not reduce even after taking antibiotics. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. Two weeks back, I had severe abdomen pain and got a sonography done. I have been diagnosed with amebic liver abscess. It was identified 13 days back and I was admitted in hospital for three days and was given saline and Metronidazole dosages, but still not re...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now