Western Blot Test

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. Based upon your history, my answer to your questions: 1. Are My Symptoms Related to ARS? Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) typically begins 7-14 days after the exposure to a HIV positive patient, and may last for up to 3-4 months. The symptoms are typically "flu-l...  Read Full »

Is CMIA test accurate?

Query: Hello doctor, My doctor has recommended western blot for HIV-1 and HIV-2 as a screening test. The RIBA test was negative for HIV, after 16 weeks of exposure. I also had a negative CMIA test, after 12 weeks post exposure. Hepatitis and STD panel are also negative. Is a negative western blot 100 % ac...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Western blot is highly sensitive and specific test, which is run after a repeatedly reactive ELISA or HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) rapid test. Western blot test is not used as a diagnostic test in the absence of an initial positive screening test, due to the rar...  Read Full »

How accurate is HIV 1 RNA test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have done RNA PCR test. The report showed that the target was not detected in the collected serum. HIV RNA was detected below, within and above the linear range of the assay. Can we conclude that the virus has entered into the body? After one week, I got western blot test also done....  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly mention the kind of exposure you had, whether it was protected, the duration since the exposure and the timing of the test you have undergone with respect to the exposure. Are you experiencing any symptoms since the exposure? Western blot is a second line test a...  Read Full »

What are the ways to confirm HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected anal and oral sex with a guy. This makes me very stressful. The symptoms I encounter after the incident are as follows. I am feeling very tired from day 10, and I think it as stress. From day 12, I am having some sort of difficulty in breathing and numbness all over the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for providing the clinical pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would try to provide you with the best possible answers to your questions. The symptoms you have mentioned for example fever, general feeling of not being well, vague body ac...  Read Full »

Are my flu-like symptoms due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, About 4 weeks ago, I got oral sex from a partner whose HIV status is unknown to me. I did only that with her. I always thought that it represented no risk of contamination to HIV. Now the thing is that about 1 week after that intercourse, I did a general blood test and found out that ...  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly pre-existing lesion of herpes or any genital ulcer on the penis during sexual intercourse or oral sex increases the chances of HIV transmission. Your blood report came positive for Herpes 1 and 2. Herpes 1 mostly causes oral ulcers, and herpes 2 causes genital l...  Read Full »

Does HSV positivity indicate risk of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I had an exposure with a CSW and precaution broke during the act. I do not know the HIV status of the girl. Four weeks later, I got a light fever which subsided in a week. I got a blood test that showed 11500 WBC with a bacterial infection. But, I have leg pai...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, do not panic. Your results till now are highly suggestive (but not 100 % confirmatory) of you being HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) negative. Please note: Getting triple ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) with p24 Ag test every few days will not...  Read Full »

Will HIV test be negative while on ART?

Query: Hi doctor, I am under ART for HIV. If I test for HIV now, will it be negative since I am under treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Despite the currently available antiretroviral therapy (ART), your HIV detection tests like ELISA and Western blot are not expected to become negative. Till now, there is no medically confirmed and published/acknowledged case in which ART has resulted in nega...  Read Full »

I had protected sex with sex worker. Am I at risk of contracting HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,Two months ago I had sex with a female sex worker. It was oral and vaginal, both condom protected. The condom did not break or slip off, I withdrew from her right after ejaculation. The girl was clean and young. The intercourse took place in her apartment. Am I at risk of contracting HI...  Read Full »

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

Family Physician, HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, protective sexual activity will keep you safe and any STD will increase chances of infection (an ulcer on genital has highest chances). In the above scenario, you are mostly protected from infection. As it happened two months ago, you can get tested with the west...  Read Full »

What HIV test should I go for if my suspected exposure was 45 days ago?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the window period for HIV western blot test from the date of a suspected exposure? And, what is the accuracy of the test?  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Western blot is a confirmatory test for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), not a primary one It is highly sensitive and specific. It comes positive in six to eight weeks of exposure. Regards. For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --&g...  Read Full »

I took CMIA test 100 days after unprotected sex. Is it conclusive for HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,I had unprotected sex with a sex worker five months back. After that every month I have taken CMIA fourth generation test. After almost 100 days, I took WB test. Then today I took again CMIA test. It is all negative but every month the index values are getting increased from 0.10 to now...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The HIV tests are repeatedly negative and after three months exposure. It is conclusive. You are free from HIV. There is no need for further HIV tests.The symptoms are non-specific and are not related to HIV. For more information consult a community medicine physician ...  Read Full »