Q. What causes frequent wheezing without any allergy in a baby?

Answered by Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema

Do you have a question on Wheezing or Foracort Inhaler? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My son is 5 years old. He has a wheezing problem from one and a half years. Recently, a pediatric pulmonologist diagnosed his condition as reactive airway disease. Currently, my son is taking Foracort 200 one puff in the morning and one puff at night. My husband and his brother both had a wheezing problem when they were children. However, wheezing disappeared after they reached eight years.

The allergy test was done and the doctor said my son does not have an allergy. Primary complex test (Mantoux test) proved positive but the doctor also looked at the chest X-ray and enquired about family history (no smokers, vegetarians, non-alcoholic). So she asked us to wait. No medicines were given.

Did my son inherit this from his dad side? Will his wheezing also subside after a particular age? He gets wheezing problem once a month or once in two months which settles only after nebulization even when he is on Foracort. As of now, I successfully identified one trigger that causes wheezing which is acid reflux that happens when he skips breakfast or eats late breakfast. Also, he does not pant for breath during wheeze but coughs a lot. Is this condition curable? He also gets wheezing whenever he has a throat infection. Why does he get frequent wheezing even when he has no allergy? Does he have asthma?