Q. What is causing wheezing frequently in a child?

Dr. Amit Modi
Published on Feb 13, 2019

My 5-year-old son has a wheezing problem right from one and a half years. A year back the doctor prescribed Foracort 100. I administered Foracort 1 puff daily for one year. Now, I have stopped it as adviced by the doctor. Still, he gets wheezing minimum one time a month and a maximum of three times during winter. He also gets wheezing whenever he has a throat infection.

The allergy test was done and the doctor said my son does not have an allergy. Primary complex test (Mantoux test) proved positive but the doctor also looked at the chest X-ray and enquired about family history (no smokers, vegetarians, non-alcoholics). So she asked us to wait. No medicines were given. Why does he get frequent wheezing even when he has no allergy? Does he have asthma?

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Generally, we would label your son a recurrent wheezer at this age. Asthma is not a diagnosis of the tender age. Wheezing is generally associated with allergy and not always can be found with a blood test. It can be an allergy to dust, pollution, dampness, pets or anything. Sometimes, we use Montelukast for a long duration to modify the wheezing condition. Ask your doctor for the same. Giving an annual flu vaccine also helps. Mantoux test is a non-specific test and does not confirm tuberculosis. Other investigations are performed in addition to the Mantoux test to confirm TB.

| 

How to proceed with my chronic dry cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am suffering from cough for almost a month and my abdomen is paining badly due to cough. The cough gets so severe and I end up vomiting, be it early morning or night. I consulted the doctor and was diagnosed with chronic cough. I followed the medicine and it o...  Read Full »

There is a neck swelling and Mantoux test shows 15 mm raised surface. Is it TB?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has gone for the Mantoux test and the report stated 15 mm raised surface. There is a swelling on the left side of the neck near the shoulder. Firstly we went to a homeopath because we thought that it is a stone. After 3 to 4 days it started paining after that we went to the ...  Read Full »