Q. Are the white patches on the skin of the testicles due to vitiligo?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

I am 35 years old. I found white patches on the skin of my testicles. These spots are spreading, and I am not feeling any itching or pain on those patches. Is it vitiligo or anything else? It is very depressing for me. Kindly help.

#

Your differential diagnoses could be idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis, post-inflammatory depigmentation, chemical leucoderma, piebaldism, or vitiligo.

Primary treatment options are topical immunomodulators like Tacrolimus, topical steroids, phototherapy, and excimer laser. In addition, laboratory tests like a biopsy, complete blood count (CBC), antinuclear antibodies (ANA), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), and fasting glucose level are needed.

Vitiligo is a common pigmentary disease affecting one to two percent of the population.

Localized areas of the skin become depigmented when melanocytes are selectively destroyed.

Better assessment can be done if you answer the following questions:

1. Do you have any history of autoimmune disorder?

2. Do you have a family history of vitiligo?

3. Do you have any hormonal imbalance or fluctuations?

4. Do you have thyroid issues, diabetes, or difficulty in vision?

I have no history of autoimmunity disorder, thyroid disorder, or difficulty in vision. My sugar level is maintained. But I am wearing glasses of power -0.75.

#

The onset of vitiligo is typically seen in ages 10 to 30. Koebner phenomenon is noted in the vitiligo mentioned above. Better assessment can be done if you answer the following questions:

1. Do you have a history of injury, burn, or trauma at the site?

2. Did you have contact with irritant chemicals?

3. Are the other areas of the body involved or localized to the scrotal area?

|